Burning Amp BA-3

Having built Salas's BiB shunt reg and found it quite brilliant See my review here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/192625-sslv1-1-builds-fairytales-52.html
I think the next step is to power the BA-3 front end with the BiB in a separate box and leave the existing BA-2 front end in place (disconnected of course). That way I can try differenct front end configurations but have the current setup to go back to if things go pear shaped. It also means less fiddling about in the main power board chassis. Mind you I don't like long connecting wires.

I think it was generg who said the BA-3 draws about 30mA. Can the great man confirm that.
Chris

Last edited:
Many thanks. Something I've wanted to clear up over current and transformers. Suppose I had a 20A output winding for something consuming only 50mA. Apart from the fact that all that current is a waste of hardware it wouldn't harm the device would it? The device would just draw what it needs would it not.
Chris

BA-3 up and running

I just received my output transistors from zhoufang (thank you!) and was able to finish my BA-3 as a standalone gain stage today.

I built it in two enclosures: one for the power supply and one for the gain stage, and then there's a third passive switching and volume box. Some of you might have seen it in partially built form at Burning Amp in the Pass Pub.

I'm running the gain stage at about 32V, with P1 and P2 close to max to get 1V across R10 and R11. I can get the DC offset very close to zero, but I have no idea how to set P3, because I don't have a distortion meter.

I'll post some pictures over in the appropriate forum in a bit: haven't uploaded the images yet.

At present I don't have a power switch, but I think I'll put one in: the power draw is enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm using the BA-3 to drive my recently completed F4: the combination is sounding pretty good, and another step up after the JBOZ. More weight in the bass, plenty of clarity at the top, very "present" vocals.

More impressions as I get to know it better. I'll probably go back in in a week or so and re-align it. Right now I prefer to listen to music :).

I'll post some pictures over in the appropriate forum in a bit: haven't uploaded the images yet.

Here's a picture to be going on with...
main.php