Burning Amp BA-3

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
chasing your tail

what's voltage reading across R3 and R4 , referring to enclosed schematic ?

P3 presumably in mid - position

Attachments

• BA3 FE.jpg
    BA3 FE.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 287
Matched JFET pairs (Grade B) - Parts

Are you existing Jfets labelled "BL" or "GR"?

The ones I have are GR. I found a post by 6L6 that says you can use them despite their lower Idss, but that you have to up the value of the pots (which I did).

So can I use these? And if so, what are the drawbacks?

The funny thing is, on the DIY store, the jfets with lower Idss values are "grade A" and sell for more money.

Another source is spencer at fetaudio.com

He has the jfets, toshiba parts at a little cheaper price than the linear systems parts. But you will pay more for shipping (he is in singapore) and wait longer.

If you got your jfets from Albeit in Isreal they are likely genuine (I've had good luck with him) but simply just the wrong grade.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, that's him. Wish I would have known earlier. Oh well. I bit the bullet and bought the grade B FETs from DIY. They're supposed to be between 6-10mA Idss.

Thanks for everyone's help. Will have to wait a couple days for the new jfets to show up.

You did fine. I dont know if Spencer has any matched sets, I havent looked in a while but last time I did he didnt have matched sets....I'll have to look again. What you got from DIY store is basically same range as BL. They have a different grading system than Toshiba used.
They should work perfectly.
Russellc

I agree.
You need to identify the jFETs are what is psecified.
Measure the Idss and the Vpinchoff. and report back.

I already did, see above. I purchased my jfets from Alweit in Israel. He shipped genuine jfets, but they are GR grade, and the Idss is low at 3.5mA. That is why I had to bump the value of the trimmer pots.

It started biasing last night, but I decided to wind it all the way back, and I purchased the matched "BL" jfets from the DIY audio store. The grade B version.