MY FIRST BUILD BA-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have purchased the BA-1 boards, I am new to building amps, I do service car amps and I have for a while now. I have a understanding of all the parts, is the BA-1 only 25 watts per channel can I H bridge it or does it have to be a n-fets irfp240's, i know the BA-2 is h- bridged n and p channel fets for a push pull which is more powerful, I need some thoughts on sound quality as well as I want a minimum of 100 per channel, does the BA-1 sound better than BA-2?If someone has built both amps which one was there favorite sound quality,power everything taken into consideration

I'm not sure what you mean by "H Bridged"? My understanding of a bridged amp is one with an amp at each speaker node. Each being driven out of phase. It will provide twice the voltage output,
Niether the BA-1 or -2 are designed this way in their standard version, if I can use that term. Your question regarding output power is for you to answer. The article was kinda written that way. CViller's boards are 3 pairs of FETs. The amp chasis given away at BAF a few years ago contained 4 pairs or 6 pairs? You can come up with your own level of ouput power/dissapation and sound by manipulating these variables.
I'm not sure what you are getting at with the N and P stuff? The BA-1 is a single ended amp and the BA-2 is a push-pull amp. The BA-1 uses a pair of N channel FETs in a follower loaded by a current source configuration. A very classic circuit and sound. The BA-2 uses a complimentary N-P pair in push-pull follower configuration. Both biased in class A.
All other things being equal the BA-1 is going to output 1/2 the current of the BA-2. But, you can add extra ouput pairs or bias higher if necessary. A version of the BA-2 is likely the easiest to produce high power with reasonable efficiency.
:Pawprint:

Ok so I can run the BA-1 Irfp240's and IRFP9240's every other fet "config" right

then what would have to be changed being as the schematics are set for IRFP240's throughout

A H bridge is using N and P channel fets together bridging them together

I am new to AC so forgive my ignorance lol

I see H bridges all the time in car amps

for instance in the P channel you will have say four irf9640 p channel fets then two irf 640 N channel fets running with them to produce more power

Last edited:
No, the BA-1 boards are designed for all N FETs.
Sounds like a complimentary cicuit to me. It can be classA or classAB. (BA-1 is a classA only configuration) The original design of these amps was meant to be biased heavily into classA, meaning you can get 3A or more of output current. Typical classAB circuits might only be biased with 30-250mA/transister. In the case you havent noticed, most of us here on the Pass forum are obscessed with classA operation and the highest bias we can stand :p
Along the lines of "H" bridging, isn't that actually a term for a 4 quadrant amp?
However, there is a way to pump these amps up nicly that I havent seen to much discussion about. And that would be to build it as a balanced monoblock. Essentially that will be with 2 bridged output and driver stages with a single input stage. And as you read more you will realize this configuration opens up the circuit for a little susy feedback. You could be the first with a BA-X :D

thank you BA-X would be really cool,(Someone contact MR. Pass) I have a feeling it would run very hot but I have ideas for that actually cooling ideas controlling the environment the components are in with the help of little A/C units we have units for fish tanks to control the temp why not amps? I know fans work but I am talking about pushing it above and beyond what temp the fans help with.

When building a higher power unit you will find that your oil or gas bill will go down and your electric bill goes up! There is no free lunch. Your idea may carry the heat away from the transistors but, you still have to put that heat somewhere. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.