An illustrated guide to building an F5

you could use the scope for this purpose. But tbh, you should own at least two scopes and ideally three when building amps. They do not have to be expensive at all.

Beware, although First Watt constructions are hard to break, the F5 (F5T even more so) topology perhaps has a modest but not irrelevant blow-up frequency. The devil is in the detail, and planning. For example, with proper planning, you would have had the nescessary amount of DMM’s, and would not have forgotten to dial down your pots before turning it on for the first time. All the info is here. Rush is another source of errors. I’d spend some time reading up, and order a few 10-20 dollar DMM’s, and then continue.

Bermek,

The adjustment I suggested is the starting position. The P1/P2 pots aren't for 'fine adjustments'. They are there to set the operational parameters of the amp and you now have to adjust the pots gradually to bring up the bias current for proper operation.

The general idea is: (One channel at a time). Short the input, put one volt meter on a source resistor (0.47R) and another across the output of the amp channel. Adjust P1 and P2 in tandem gradually so you start seeing voltage across the source resistor, while at the same time keeping the dc offset low. The DC offset should be ideally zero but anything below 50mV should be acceptable; you should not have trouble doing better than that. The voltage across the source resistor gives a measurement of the bias current. The 'target' Iq is about 1.3A, so about 0.6V across the source resistors. Note this is with the amp fully warmed up and in thermal equilibrium. (i.e. lid on) I would suggest for now bringing things up slowing to no higher than 0.5V. Do things in half steps and let things stabilize after each set of adjustments.

These adjustments do not depend on whether a preamp will be used.

Edit: Please read carefully the first posts in this thread. Everything is there, but ask if things aren't clear.
One last question, Dennis, during this adjustments does a speaker have to be connected to the terminal?

you could use the scope for this purpose. But tbh, you should own at least two scopes and ideally three when building amps. They do not have to be expensive at all.

Beware, although First Watt constructions are hard to break, the F5 (F5T even more so) topology perhaps has a modest but not irrelevant blow-up frequency. The devil is in the detail, and planning. For example, with proper planning, you would have had the nescessary amount of DMM’s, and would not have forgotten to dial down your pots before turning it on for the first time. All the info is here. Rush is another source of errors. I’d spend some time reading up, and order a few 10-20 dollar DMM’s, and then continue.
Great advice, thanks very much once again for your time. When the thread is 100 pages, forgive my lazyness for going thru all.

N/P Iq diff is high, over 15%.

Where did you source your JFETs?

Edit: I saw your earlier post, please disregard the question.

I you want closer Iq between N/P, please post some pictures then we might be able to help you.

If you are in Europe, I can match up MOSFETs for you in a jiffy. But that won’t nescessarily cure your issue. But then, it might sound fine no matter what.

Regards,
Andy
Dear Andy,

Thank you for your valuable opinion and for your suggestion!

It took me a bit longer to evaluate the second channel and to look back into the problem with the first one. However, I think that I found the problem.

With the second channel I was able to get 0.598 V and 0.602 V on MOSFET source resistors with 10mV bias offset. Which is, in principle, should be acceptable.

I then checked all the resistance values on the first channel, and find out that R2 is measured as appr. 15.8 kOhm on the board. I desoldered it, and it was all normal at 47.5 kOhm. I soldered it back in the board and checked resistance between several points on the board which having R2 involved - all gave non-correct values.

I started to suspect JFETs, I desoldered them and checked. I found that one of them is showing resistance between Gate and Source of 18.2 kOhm and 18.8kOhm depending on the polarity of probes.

I decided that it is a malfunction, which probably caused the uneven(unsymmetric) behavior of N and P parts of the circuit and lead to such a difference in currents. May be I handled it badly, or overheated while soldering...

I ordered new JFETs and will check the operation with them. They should arrive next week.

Maxim

Reactions: 1 user
^ Did you start with very low resistance reading across R5 and R6 as Dennis suggested? Is that what you mean by correct adjustments to P1 and P2?

With those readings low, it sounds like the fuse did not blow, correct? You have solved this issue?

I think that is what you said in #2079, but just confirming.
------
After setting P1 and P2 to their proper starting positions, did you then slowly adjust P1 and P2 to achieve your desired bias current, Iq?

What is your desired Iq? What voltage readings do you want across R7 and R8?

What voltage readings do you see across R7 and R8?
-----
Edited for clarity
Dear ItsAll. I followed the instructions for bias offset adjustment. While I go up to 0,4V accross R7 and R8, I see that my dim bulb tester go from dim to pretty bright. Is it normal? I am afraid of frying something inside.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ What wattage bulb do you have in your DBT? Note, if you're in the USA, you'll commonly see a "equivalent" wattage rating for halogen bulbs. Be sure you note the actual wattage from the packaging.

See here for some great information about how they work and guidance for selecting the wattage based upon what you're testing.

https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

If the DBT (before you started to bias the amp) went bright and then quickly dimmed with both amplifier boards connected, then that indicates that you don't have a 'dead short' to ground or anything drawing substantially higher current than normal unexpectedly.

tl;dr - it's likely normal.

If it began to brighten as you increased your bias current, then that is normal. Note... I would back off the bias to 0V25 (or so) across those resistors before disconnecting the dim bulb tester. You should not attempt to bias your amplifier fully with the DBT in place.

^ What wattage bulb do you have in your DBT? Note, if you're in the USA, you'll commonly see a "equivalent" wattage rating for halogen bulbs. Be sure you note the actual wattage from the packaging.

See here for some great information about how they work and guidance for selecting the wattage based upon what you're testing.

https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

If the DBT (before you started to bias the amp) went bright and then quickly dimmed with both amplifier boards connected, then that indicates that you don't have a 'dead short' to ground or anything drawing substantially higher current than normal unexpectedly.

tl;dr - it's likely normal.

If it began to brighten as you increased your bias current, then that is normal. Note... I would back off the bias to 0V25 (or so) across those resistors before disconnecting the dim bulb tester. You should not attempt to bias your amplifier fully with the DBT in place.
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I was using a 42W halogen bulb. I didn’t have a 25W in hand. Your last sentence is extremely helpful also. I didn’t know about that.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
bermek,

A reminder that you do not bias your amp with the DBT attached. Basically you use it at the initial power up to make sure nothing is amiss (large current draw) and you have P1/P2 in the minimal position. Then you remove it and begin the bias process by adjusting P1/P2 while monitoring the voltages across the source resistors and the DC offset.

Reactions: 1 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well, this thread seems as good a place as any to post this… $100+shipping. PM if you want them. SOLD:)

Finally need this chassis for something else, and these boards have done such a good job that they really should find a new home.

More information and photos can be found in post 1 & 2 of this thread.

44DB0733-6B73-4770-B1BB-01167D9BD18F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
N/P Iq diff is high, over 15%.

Where did you source your JFETs?

Edit: I saw your earlier post, please disregard the question.

I you want closer Iq between N/P, please post some pictures then we might be able to help you.

If you are in Europe, I can match up MOSFETs for you in a jiffy. But that won’t nescessarily cure your issue. But then, it might sound fine no matter what.

Regards,
Andy
Hello Andy, I have similar problem. In one channel it is 0,600V and 0,650V. Is it ok? Thank you for an answer. Best regards. Valeri

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, it is ok, will work perfectly, and sound great .

Because of the differences in Vth (the turn-on threshold voltage) of the typical N channel Mosfet and the typical P channel Mosfet, the chances that the two halves of the circuit being identical bias at zero dc offset is actually quite low. And there is no reason to have it identical. As long as you can get close to zero offset, it’s all good.

bermek,

A reminder that you do not bias your amp with the DBT attached. Basically you use it at the initial power up to make sure nothing is amiss (large current draw) and you have P1/P2 in the minimal position. Then you remove it and begin the bias process by adjusting P1/P2 while monitoring the voltages across the source resistors and the DC offset.
Dear Dennis. I was able to adjust bias and DC offset. However, As I go above 0.4V bias, the 1.25A slow burn fuse wants to go off. (220V mains). What could be the reason? Should the fuse rating be higher?
Best regards.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can't tell from the picture how many VA (watts) your transformer is rated for but you'll probably need 1.5A or greater (1.5A x 220V = 330VA or 330W). Do you have both amp channels connected to the PSU while you are doing this when the fuse blows? If you are able to get it to 0.4V over the mosfet source resistors (R11 and R12) without anything burning up, you're probably in good shape and just need to use a fuse with a higher rating.

Dear Twitchie. Thank you so much for clarification. Yes I have both channels connected. But I measured the 0.4V accross R7 or R8 as recommended. It should not matter I guess?
The toroidal I used should be rated around 350-400W. Maybe it is best I go for 2-2.5A fuse? Is slow burn fuse a must?

Dear Twitchie. Thank you so much for clarification. Yes I have both channels connected. But I measured the 0.4V accross R7 or R8 as recommended. It should not matter I guess?
The toroidal I used should be rated around 350-400W. Maybe it is best I go for 2-2.5A fuse? Is slow burn fuse a must?
400vA/220v=1,8A fuse. I’d order a few of those and a couple of 2A and 2A2’s.

Make sure the bias/Iq measurements are made with DC offset zeroed/minimized.