Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

A Concise Guide to the Published Amplifier Circuits of Nelson Pass
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2017, 04:56 PM   #51
BeardyWan is offline BeardyWan
diyAudio Member

Newbie question.

Does this mean that you can take some `nice' semiconductor and cascode it with a monster hockey puck: some super delicate jfet/SIT/vfet and hang a great big high gain switching lump on the side and get all the nice character of the `audiophile' device with much bigger output?
Old 16th May 2018, 02:59 PM   #52
bfburkejr is offline bfburkejr  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool Pass Aleph 1.2 circuit boards

Hello,
It has been a couple of years since I have been on here due to operations and Hospital stuff, I was wondering if the following website is still reliable
http://www.kk-pcb.com
for ordering circuit boards for Aleph amps and power supplies, I haven't decided what to build. I might do a set of powered speaker like the ones Nelson did a while back with multiple Aleph amps inside. I prefer active crossovers and sealed cabinets with DSP for bass extension. I can't find any current comments on the reliability and quality of the circuit boards and stuffing lists that come with them on this site. Anyone know anything?
Thanks,
Brian Burke
Old 17th May 2018, 10:48 AM   #53
jimbo51 is offline jimbo51  Australia
diyAudio Member

You would do best by first looking at the diyAudio Store to see what is now available in legitimate PCB's.

Amongst the many items you will find a universal power supply board suitable for any First Watt amp.
Old 5th November 2018, 04:14 PM   #54
powerslave is offline powerslave  India
diyAudio Member

Sorry if this is a lame question; which of the FW power amps are easiest to build in terms of procuring components ? Assume that I have the cabinet and heat sinks all covered by buying a super chassis that could support all FW builds , my goal is to build a keeper i.e. to choose a topology and design that I can keep running without worrying about procuring exotic JFET/MOSFETs . Background to this question is I tried to embark upon the F6 build but I am finding it hard to procure output transistors so dropped the plan , I have no affinity for F6 and I am open to other FW designs that can output similar power.

Last edited by powerslave; 5th November 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 6th November 2018, 01:47 PM   #55
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

strictly speaking of level of ease in obtaining all the parts , it would be Babelfish J , then M2x

with later one you still need to find a way of smuggling Edcors in your neck of wood
Old 6th November 2018, 06:40 PM   #56
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Easiest to build, Amp Camp, JFET's and kits can be bought at the store (link at the top of the page).

The BA1, BA2, BA3 are very flexible, BA1 (with single ended output stage) is closest to Aleph J/J2 sound, while the BA3 (with complementary output stage - ideal for low impedance speakers) will take you more in the direction of the F5 sound.

You can add 'flavour' with the BA3 P3 preset, Iron Pre, H2 Harmonic Generator, B1 Preamp with Korg triode, or what ever takes you fancy.

Last edited by Itsmee; 6th November 2018 at 06:43 PM.

A Concise Guide to the Published Amplifier Circuits of Nelson PassHide this!Advertise here!