Adcom GFA-555 Left Channel Buzz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello good folks.

Well I am currently looking for some help with a 555 I purchased recently.

It powers up alright on the DBT, the bulb dims to nearly off.

DC offset is reading 49mv right channel, 46left channel. Turning the adjustment pots is very finicky, and I really cannot get it much better (this is on through the DBT).

With NO inputs connected, left channel has a significant buzz (like a very loud bee).

Right channel is fine.

Both channels play music.

All fuses look good. Everything looks in good shape, nothing is burned. I have replaced the electrolytic capacitors on the board with exact replacements no change. I also changed the driver transistors with high capacity ones (suggested). No change after that alteration.

I am uploading a video of the symptoms, should be on here in a little while.

Any help would be great. I called the adcom support and the guy was completely no help at all....

Thank you.

Walker

I switched the main power caps from the right side to the left. Yes I maintained the correct polarity, and started it up on the DBT.

Now in stereo both channels hum VERY loudly, and I am getting 140mv DC at each output.

When switched to bridged only the right channel makes noise (also very loud), and the left is silent.

Someone tell me to take this to a shop please.

Walker

Nelson,

Yes I understand that. I guess if I would have thought before I asked that question it would have dawned on me that it would work on any amp. Thank you for the reply. I am looking forward to firing up this vintage 86' amp when my 565 gets here tomorrow. I am really tickled that I got one of the early Adcoms that you designed. Everything is still solid except leaching of thermal compound from the rectifier bridges and output boards.

Kevin

Last edited:
Bump. I'm having a bit of noise/buzz from the left channel of my original GFA-555. Pretty faint but louder than the right channel and audible in a quiet room from 10 ft away. I bought the amp around 13 years ago, it had one power cap replaced at the time.

I intend to run this pretty hard for PA use in the near future. I'm guessing it would be smart to re-cap the electrolytics, but I'd like to resolve the buzz before dumping time and money into it as a project.

Any guesses if the buzz will get worse as I run the amp hard......?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.