25W Class A amp with Lateral MOSFETs

Thanks guys,
it's a well known topology, highly tolerant of modifications - anyone can use it to tailor the sound according to one's own taste without using hard to find parts. It gives us a great number of good-sounding variations and fun is guaranteed... :D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• Lateral F5 JUMA.gif
    Lateral F5 JUMA.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,227
Both this (Juma's ?LH)and the BA-2 amp have caps on the output. If you were to use a CCS over the VAS stage vs bootstrap CS, could these be eliminated? All components will be here today. I have 3, maybe 4 amps to build. F4, F5, BA-2, this one:), Oh yeah , F3, R085 SRPP too. ANybody know a good marriage counselor?

Last edited:
Both this (Juma's ?LH)and the BA-2 amp have caps on the output. If you were to use a CCS over the VAS stage vs bootstrap CS, could these be eliminated? ...

Buzz buddy, there are many ways to change this amp. Feel free to experiment.
I made deliberate choices in this design in order to make it sound the way I want. You make it the way you like...

BTW, using CCS or bootstrap in VAS has nothing to do with the need for output cap. Split power supply does.

Last edited:
Juma,
I have more stupid questions. C3 and C19 do what? I would assume a coupling cap, but why is c19 not electrolytic? The output fets are both receiving their signal from the drain of Q2, correct? Also, the only feedback from output pair is through bootstrap CS? Isn't P2 setting gain independant of output feedback.

C3 and C19 do what?
C3 is there to equalize the AC potential at the gates of Q3 and Q4. C19 is a gentle slow-down compensation, you can leave it out if you want.

why is c19 not electrolytic?
Becouse 120pF electrolytic capacitor doesn't exist.

The output fets are both receiving their signal from the drain of Q2, correct?
From Q2 collector - BJTs don't have drain.

Also, the only feedback from output pair is through bootstrap CS?
No, negative feedback loop consists of R13, R2, C10/C17. C9/C15 create (together with R8, R10) bootstrap arrangement which loads the Q2.

Isn't P2 setting gain independant of output feedback.
No. It sets the Vgs of Q3, Q4.

Negative feedback doesn't work the way you imagine. To simplify it to the max., it compares the output signal to the input signal of the amplifier. There's a lot of stuff to read on this subject all over the net, just take your time... ;)

C3 is there to equalize the AC potential at the gates of Q3 and Q4. C19 is a gentle slow-down compensation, you can leave it out if you want.

OK.

No, negative feedback loop consists of R13, R2, C10/C17.
C9/C15 create (together with R8, R10) bootstrap arrangement which loads the Q2.

Recognized the feedback to input device, just didn't know what role, if any the secnod stage played into it other than just being included in the loop. I get the bootstrap thanks to BA and Wiki, but wasn't sure if it just improved current source, or did something else?

No. It sets the Vgs of Q3, Q4.
It does play into the gain of the circuit, correct? I see how the overall gain is set by feedback, but some of the gain that is thrown away by feedback is created by q2, correct?

Negative feedback doesn't work the way you imagine. To simplify it to the max., it compares the output signal to the input signal of the amplifier. There's a lot of stuff to read on this subject all over the net, just take your time... ;)

Like Op Amps or....Transistor Man from All About Electronics:D Thanks for taking the time!

...wasn't sure if it just improved current source, or did something else?
Not improved, but rather primitive current source. It's dynamic impedance is lower, so Q2's gain is lower than with standard CCS.

It does play into the gain of the circuit, correct? I see how the overall gain is set by feedback, but some of the gain that is thrown away by feedback is created by q2, correct?
No, no, no - you can't create a feedback node at BJT's collector - please read how the BJT works...