Active crossover suggestion with F5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Newbie Software to Adjust the First Watt B4

I will be watching this as I am planning on By amp eventually. I had a brief look at Papa's stuff as he has a crossover out on the market. It would be a good idea to start there.

........a program like True RTA (there is better and free stuff out there)...

I definitely will be getting the First Watt B4 to bi-amp my two-way build. But by "better stuff out there", does it require that you be a math & physics genius to use it? At ARTA Software , take a look at the manuals for LIMP to measure impedance (especially the 2nd method on p. 4 &5) and the ARTA program that measures frequency response. Then tell me that someone who barely went beyond pre-calculus could do anything with that freeware. Anything that's free is worth nothing if you don't know how to use it.

So what about True Audio's TrueRTA? https://www.trueaudio.com/rta_abt1.htm With a decent omni electret mic and preamp feeding my M-Audio card, can practically anyone use it to measure and save the active crossover's LF filter and HF filter response? Then after tweaking each one's turnover frequency and/or slope to so that (hopefully) their summed response will look flatter, rather than peaked or dipped? And can TrueRTA then let you overlay all three
curves on top of each other to compare them-and then continue tweaking until the summed response looks a lot flatter?

Is that what TrueRTA lets you do? Or am I all wrong about even how to adjust
the B4 crossover (which in any case only supplements the "by ear" method that Nelson Pass says in the manual that you should mostly go by anyway)?

But if I got the measuring methodology wrong, please describe the correct procedure.

AND, if not TrueRTA, please suggest the easiest to use software to get the job done right too. Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.