Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 preamp build thread
B1 preamp build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 07:50 PM   #611
sov is offline sov  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What is your output impedance for example DAC? I read somewhere a reasonable figure is that times ten. My DAC with 75 ohm output impedance I have cowardly chosen a 10K.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:59 PM   #612
codyt is offline codyt  United States
diyAudio Member

I've also referenced the 10x number, but have never gotten close to seeing if its enough. The output on my phono pre is 100ohm, so I could theoretically get by with 1k. Feels like people generally choose higher/lighter resistance for pots and attenuators, but volume capability can start to suffer (with regards to a buffer). I bought an attenuator with 250k installed and the volume was light at full volume. Once I installed some 25k resistors, I got the volume back.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:28 PM   #613
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Default It arrived today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyt View Post
I was really impressed with the PEC. There's a lot of stuff at the Hifi Collective and Parts Connexion too I was just lucky enough to find those at Digikey when ordering B1 parts.
So I went on and tried to stay reasonable. Ordered the PEC from Digikey on friday evening (european time), and it's already here! Now I'd call that _really_fast_ !

I'm so curious to hear what it's going to be.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:38 PM   #614
diyAudio Member

Great! Curious to hear what you think.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:42 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

If the PEC doesn’t do if for you, I’ve heard great things about TKD pots. I ended up biting the bullet on a Khozmo attenuator, but as previously mentioned, I only noticed slight improvements over the PEC.
Old 14th October 2019, 06:48 PM   #616
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNYankee View Post
Check here at HiFi collective. I have bought several pots from them. The TKD pots come in 20K Ohm. They are clearer and more detailed than Alps pots ( I have used both ) and they are better built. The Alps pots are warmer but sound veiled in comparison. They do have an alps 20K Ohm pot for for sale. HiFi collective ships fast here to the U.S.

I have a TKD 50k Ohm pot that is motorized that I would be willing to sell if that would work.

Potentiometers | Hifi Collective
MNYankee, Thanks very much for your offer! I already chose a PEC, mainly because it's 25k (closer to the 20k) and I am not that safe at all this.

B1 preamp build threadHide this!Advertise here!