Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 preamp build thread
B1 preamp build thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2018, 01:46 PM   #551
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
right now I can't understand what's wrong - PSU or whatever you connect to it

anyway - if PSU isn't having intended voltages at outputs, just replace LM regs where voltage isn't ok

simple as that
Old 7th August 2018, 01:53 PM   #552
Mixi is offline Mixi  Europe
diyAudio Member

the issue was that by accident i attached the power supply to my b1 with reversed polarity (that was 2 month ago). you helped me troubleshoot the b1 and it seemed not to have taken any damage.

then you gave me advice on how to check if the psu survived the reverse polarity. to do so you advised me to attach 1r resistors in line with the rails and measure voltage across them. this is what i just did and the voltage is exactly the same as without resistors. now i was wondering
1) what the purpose of the measurement with the resistors in line is?
2) if that tells me that the psu is fine?

the voltage between +/- is 30v. 15v if i measure across "+" and ground or " - " and ground. that's the way its supposed to be i guess.

sorry for the confusion
Old 7th August 2018, 02:23 PM   #553
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
in line resistors where there to measure voltage sag across them , and reflect is there any malfunction

it was supposed that you do that and write back your findings , so we can proceed further if needed , or declare it OK

this way , asking zillion years later , you're just adding confusion to already confused ZM

Old 7th August 2018, 02:26 PM   #554
diyAudio Member

i understand that my reply comes a little late - sorry for the confusion!

seems that there is no voltage sag across the resistors, does that mean the PSU can be declared ok?
Old 7th August 2018, 02:43 PM   #555
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
If you measure +/-15V on the output of that PSU it's probably fine. However, what isn't fine is that you seem to have a dual-rail PSU supplying a single-rail amplifier. Can you draw how the two boards are connected together? From an earlier picture it looks like you have previously run the B1 on two 9V-batteries in series - did it hum then?
Old 8th August 2018, 01:41 PM   #556
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisbeth View Post
If you measure +/-15V on the output of that PSU it's probably fine. However, what isn't fine is that you seem to have a dual-rail PSU supplying a single-rail amplifier. Can you draw how the two boards are connected together? From an earlier picture it looks like you have previously run the B1 on two 9V-batteries in series - did it hum then?
i'm afraid you're quite right. i did use the dual power supply for the (single rail) b1. i have to admit that i really only used it for maybe 5 seconds - with reverse polarity as mentioned before. after that i only used the two 9V batteries. and yes, there was some hum - how did you know?

unfortunately i don't remember how i connected the together. i believe +15v to '-' on the B1 and -15v to '+' on the B1. Wrong obviously.

Would it be possible to use a dual supply for a single rail amp at all?
Old 8th August 2018, 02:03 PM   #557
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

B1 preamp build thread
quite possible

B1 preamp build threadHide this!Advertise here!