Aleph P and D1 Analog IV stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Denon 2900 universal player modified with a D1 analog IV stage. I only have single-ended output, and only use the IV converter of the D1, not the source follower. I recently noticed that for high-level signals (3.2 V peak), the Aleph P generates a noise that sounds as if there is a bad solder joint. The noise is in both channels but is not identical (mono). This happens only when I drive the Aleph P directly from the Denon. If I put another unity gain device in between, the noise disappears.

I put a 10K series resister before the Aleph P input. That solves the problem. But I also noticed that for moderate level signals, the sound is more clean and transparent, especially for the treble. If I connect my Sennheiser HD600 headphone directly to the Denon, it is even more transparent. I am suspecting that the ultra sonic noise from the Denon is causing some kind of problem in the Aleph P, since the post-IV filter in the Denon is only first order. Does this make sense?

Yes i have the complete analog stage, but not balanced.
The 680 pF capacitors are there to prevent oscillation, so if some noise appears
you might check them out first.
The 10k doesn´t help here because the high frequency oscillation is the problem.
The 10k resistor doesn´t reduce the bandwith.
You might here something like humming if oscillation appears.

May be the output follower acts as a buffer to prevent the problem?

I do not see any oscillation in the output. I am not really sure what is going on.
The 10k resister, however, does increase the input impedance for the gain stage, and therefore, acts as a RC (the input capacitance) filter to attenuate the high frequencies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.