Nakamichi PA-7II: Thermofuse in the potted transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have a CA-7. I would love to have a complete set like yours...
Thanks. There's a certain look to the PA-7 that has always made me want one. I actually bought a really mint (and problem free) PA-5 a few weeks ago, but it just doesn't look as cool without the manly handles. I'm tempted to buy Nak tape deck just to complete the rack look, but I donated almost all of my cassette collection to the goodwill a few years ago.

On the Nak topic, check out this Dragon Turntable for sale (no affilication):

Nakamichi DRAGON-CT turntable Very RARE Orignal BOX on eBay.ca (item 300504326748 end time 19-Dec-10 21:27:10 EST)

I've actually had great sucess accessing locations on a variety of potted items using a dremel tool with small pointed metalic die grinding wheel. First you will want to get the transformer x-rayed so you can pinpoint exactly where the thermal fuse is at. Then if it is actually easily accessable go to work at that exact location with the dremel. Be sure to have someone run a vaccum cleaner to gather up the dust... the dremel will go through the potting coumpound quickly and generate gobs of dust. The last thing I repaired was a potted AC line filter that was long ago obsolete. It had burn't off it's connection from the protruding lead inside under the potting material. I ground it away and repaired it in 30 min. time and put the NTSC genny back in service within an hour. I hope this might be of help to you on this. That is an amp that is worth saving even if you have to get a tranny wound for it...

Mark

Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's great! I have a Nakamichi PA-7, and a Bose 1801.
Both of these units get warm, and would like to know what
you use to measure the fin temperature.

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil, so for taking so long to answer your question:

I have Infrared Thermometer Gun that I just point and shoot to get an accurate temperature reading on any surface or component. It's laser sight and everything:cool:

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've actually had great sucess accessing locations on a variety of potted items using a dremel tool with small pointed metalic die grinding wheel. First you will want to get the transformer x-rayed so you can pinpoint exactly where the thermal fuse is at. Then if it is actually easily accessable go to work at that exact location with the dremel. Be sure to have someone run a vaccum cleaner to gather up the dust... the dremel will go through the potting coumpound quickly and generate gobs of dust. The last thing I repaired was a potted AC line filter that was long ago obsolete. It had burn't off it's connection from the protruding lead inside under the potting material. I ground it away and repaired it in 30 min. time and put the NTSC genny back in service within an hour. I hope this might be of help to you on this. That is an amp that is worth saving even if you have to get a tranny wound for it...

Mark

Thanks for the post Mark, your method sounds like the best way to approach this type of problem. I was fully prepared to get a custom transformer made if necessary, so I'm extra happy to get it running at no cost beyond a few hours of chiseling.

I really don't understand that if they have to buried the fuse deep in the middle of the transfo and then fill it with all that hard putty ... why would they not put a thermofuse that reset itself when it cools down :confused::confused:

those are not the regular types that open up under current overloads,
they are temperature sensitive and opens up when the temperature rating is exceeded...
the designer thinks that having that fuse failed meant catastrophic failure in circuits
supplied by the traffo, so instead of those circuits releasing magic smoke or worst end up in flames,
these thermofuse ensured none of those happened...no smoke, no flames.....

I have a PA-7 (not II) with this transformer problem. My PA-7's thermal fuse is located on the top. I used my table saw to cut a groove along the top edge and then use a flat screw driver gently separated the top portion (like a brain surgeon cutting open one's skull). The thermal fuse is inside one of the white soft tube buried in the epoxy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.