Semisouth Aleph J?

I think you can see significant improvement by simply
dropping the Jfet in on the negative side - the IRF240
on the top (aleph) side can be left as is.

To bias it properly you will need to drop the value of the
resistor from the Drain of the input transistor (and Gate
of the Jfet) to the negative rail to a lower value - I
recommend a 500 ohm pot.

:cool:

wait, replace Q7 and Q8 with the semisouth R100 jfet, and R7 with a 500 ohm pot and adjust to taste?

easy/caveman/end meme

wonders what I can be generous with...

Last edited:
Beginning my Aleph J mono build soon. Relying heavily on Bill for help. He has taught me what little I know. Plan to replace bottom half with SS fets, but may find it unecessary if they sound as good as I hear. F4 will be next. Already have the boards. Then pearl 2 for my brother and his crazy vinyl obsession. Going to try my best to brake the valve loose that currently holds him captive. If nothing else, maybe I can make the magic smoke:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe I really am slow, but that seems to lead me right back to post 23.

OH NO! A ZM vortex is pulling me in!

(or maybe i just go back to quietly trying to pick up the knowledge pieces)

:clown:

exactly .......

or - even better - make a bastard between Babelfish J and known things from FW J2 ;

that way you'll need just one mosfet in Aleph CCS and just one SS down

ask more , if you need

wait, replace Q7 and Q8 with the semisouth R100 jfet, and R7 with a 500 ohm pot and adjust to taste?

easy/caveman/end meme

wonders what I can be generous with...

The Aleph CS stays intact. The idea of the trimmer for R7 is to find the correct voltage across it to bias the SS jfets, as they apparently vary greatly in Vgs. Once the exact voltage is established, doing a little math will give you the correct resistor value you need. Dividing that voltage by half of the current going through R8 will give you the correct resistor value needed to put the front end current sharing right on the money. You can then replace the trimmer with a fixed resistor if you want.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's not so much that the Vgs of the Jfets varies greatly,
rather that it's quite a bit lower than the vertical Mosfets,
usually 1.1 to 1.5 V for 1A current. Add to that the
drop across the Source resistor for the Jfet and you can
compute the appropriate range of resistance for a pot.

:cool:

Nelson,
As i said earlier, i will be building a (kind of) standard Aleph J to begin with. In your opinion, is it worth the investment to add the SS to the bottom half. I just thought about the fact that zhoufangs price for his SS fets may not include matched pieces. If this is true, the cost increases significantly. I'll have to check.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson,
As i said earlier, i will be building a (kind of) standard Aleph J to begin with. In your opinion, is it worth the investment to add the SS to the bottom half. I just thought about the fact that zhoufangs price for his SS fets may not include matched pieces. If this is true, the cost increases significantly. I'll have to check.

all Zhoufang's SS are measured and delivered matched - by price written in his thread