Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

9.88 & 9.87 are not low rails in dcb1 practice and 16.6vdc rectified from 12v taps indicates strong mains so all is well. 15v taps would give more heat to the input Mosfet due to higher dc drop across but less Ciss capacitance. Try those taps also since you got the sinking but keep them in use only if you find the result bit more open in the treble. Else its just a waste in heat that it will be felt after you push the mA to high hot-rod.
Cool, thanks for that. I was just a bit concerned when the voltages weren't over 10v as mentioned. Didn't think there could be too much wrong as it's doing everything right.

Still evaluating but from what I'm hearing I'd say it's added more accuracy to the music, placement is more precise and there seem to be more micro details coming through which adds a lot of nouonce to vocals ect. Hasn't really done much to the sound stage, this was already very good.

Happy so far.

Thanks to everyone for making this available.

High left channel offset?

Just managed to get around to building the mezmerize board.
All seems ok so far, I get +10.39V and -10.13V at the DC test points on the board, with a 15v transformer.
Right channel has offset of -0.5mv
Left channel has offset of -5.3mv

Is there any way to reduce the left channel offset, or is this acceptable?
Thanks,
geoff.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mutually exchange places between the higher offset channel's JFET pair, maybe you will get lucky and they will reduce. Else you can't do anything more than finding a better pair to replace them or accept their now mV figure. 5mV is not the end of the world but that depends on the power amplifier too. If its DC input coupled and has high voltage gain it may amplify that to a level that is going to change its output bias somewhat. Usually its either blocked by an input capacitor in the amp or its inconsequential.

Salas, your suggestion was pure genius and showed uncanny intuition. Many thanks and take a bow. You saved me from dismantling the board. You were right I had not put in the earth link in the middle of the board! It is the old Mesmerize Black version by crt. From the beginning I somehow got the idea it was an optional connection if you got earth hum. Maybe the blue version?
Anyway the picture shows it just works now to specification and I need to try it with music.
Dropbox - Black Mes works!.JPG
Thank you

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In blue boards you may enhance those links with wire for lowest resistance, especially the long one associated with the AC rectification area, but there is copper film already underneath those two white linking lines because blue are double sided so its just optional and not that important. But the old black board is single sided so to actually make the links with wire jumpers on it is necessary.

Congratulations for completing your build and let us know your impressions with music.

My 2010 Black Mez DCB1 plays music

Wired up and connected. No DC protection so I have only used a 2.5in speaker from a pc tower! There is however music from R and L channels.

Next step is proper speakers, should I wait till some DC protection modules arrive? My impression is that danger occurs switching the preamp on and off, providing I make sure the power amp is off and powered down completely first I am reasonably safe?

Thank you, I have really enjoyed this project and can't wait to hear how it sounds in the full set up.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its prudent to have DC protection relay modules on the power amp's output. Any power amp if without transformer or capacitor coupling to a speaker, i.e. the majority, can self fail at a point in its service life or due to mishandling and pass strong DC anyway. Does not even need other gear connected to it in order to do that. One of its output transistors can fail because its been not passing heat well due to imperfect mounting or getting abused by imbalance of characteristics and current hogging for instance.

If the full chain is DC coupled, long term accidents probability increases of course. A one side rail failure in any of the system's components for example. On the other hand the very low DC offset level achieved in your DCB1 won't affect anything and when the heat sinking of its PSU works well, also when taking precaution for the right power on/off order between amp and preamp, it could be safe to proceed. What level of safety measures against disaster scenarios are enough is always an individual user's decision. Ultimately nothing is 100% safe in life :rolleyes:

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Here is the DCB1 I built for a friend.

D600-2728.jpg

D600-2729-2.jpg

dcb1inside.jpg

That case looks great!!!
Can you tell me what it is?

Is this a Khozmo kit or your own invention with ball bearing in the front panel?
I need to find a solution for the 10mm front panel I have for the BA-3 pre. The easy solution would be to just get a 3mm panel and mount the attenuator as usual.

My own solution, with parts from ebay.

It would work with just a hole in the front panel and a bushing of some kind, but I decided a ball bearing would work better.

Their pre amplifiers are much the same High Quality Passive Preamplifiers