Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Horio,
Let me correct myself first, it's the first cap that gets replaced, not the second.
Technically I am not positive what the differences are. Both are bypass caps for the IRFP Voltage Reference. The film cap seems to offer better sound. I would buy both and try both.

Looks like the board is slowly getting populated.
Unfortunately I managed to get a bunch of 100 perfectly matched let at 1.84 V, there is no way of putting them together to make 9V.

I am using the method suggested by Salas for matching, using the jfet as a current source. For this I assume that the battery voltage should be greater than 9 V. I am using 12V. Is it correct ?

A silly thing that happened assembling this board is the following: I recently got an LCR meter, capable of measuring also ESR. So I bought two capacitors, a Nichicon Fine Tune bla bla 100 uF and some surplus cap. The Nichicon costs 20 times more than the other.
If I measure them, the Nichicon are closer to 80uF and have 0.7 ohm of ESR, the others are around 95uF and 0.4ohm ESR.
What would you use ?

Best Regards,

Davide

I'm planning to hot-rod my DCB1, and I'd like to run it at 600mA (3.3ohm resistors). I'm planning bolt the MOSFETs to a custom chassis with a 6mm thick bottom panel. The board layout doesn't really allow for mounting the rectifier diodes to the bottom panel. Do you think I could get away with running it at 600mA if I put some of these on the MUR820's I have? It isn't much, but I could bend the fins out to create a flat heat-sink.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You've got the right idea, there is not much space if you mount the TO-220's there.
If you can't get those sinks to bend that way, and my experience is that alum is not too pliable, I would use some of the 6mm chassis and 4/40 tap and just add some surface area to it.

Can the mosfets not just be desoldered, and instead mounted to the underside of the board (so bending the legs UP to fit the PCB)? I would have thought that would then easily allow it to be mounted to the chassis base, and allow that to be used as the heatsink?

- John

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can the mosfets not just be desoldered, and instead mounted to the underside of the board (so bending the legs UP to fit the PCB)? I would have thought that would then easily allow it to be mounted to the chassis base, and allow that to be used as the heatsink?

- John

This is exactly what I did with my Blue Hypno; the 6mm bottom plate barely gets warm.

Japan is a funny country: you can buy Toshiba jfet at the grocery store, but if you ask for a BC, they look you like an alien. I forgot to add BC517 to my mouser order, I have BC550 and BC560. Can I replace the 517 with something else? what are the important parameters for this part?

Thanks,

D.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
We got some osciallation on the relay's originally with two BC546's in the prototypes last year in some cases. a .15 cap used (I forgot how) can solve it if it occurs.

The BC517 solved that problem. You'd hear it if it occurs, the board will make a 'hiss'. :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Japan is a funny country: you can buy Toshiba jfet at the grocery store, but if you ask for a BC, they look you like an alien. I forgot to add BC517 to my mouser order, I have BC550 and BC560. Can I replace the 517 with something else? what are the important parameters for this part?

Thanks,

D.

The current gain is important. Must be a Darlington. Else use that 150nF between C,B of the normal BC5xx you got. Use a small film cap and patch at board's underside.

I am going to build a hotrod version by using two boxes one is for the transformer, so my problem is the way to transfer power AC or DC?

Using DC
transformer >>> rectifiers >>> a big cap of 22000uf (I have alot of them...cheap rubicon)>>> cable 1m >>> one 4700uf (or another one 22000uf?)>>> DCB1
Is this a good configuration?
thanks