Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Prefer PF5102 as it runs from 5mA up to 11mA idss in samples while the J111/113 series tend to very high idss these days. At least those I sampled during the last two years or so. If you got Jxxx samples up to 10mA, ok use them. Because the JFETs run full throttle in this circuit, too high idss is going to slowly fry them.

Here is the DCB1 I built for a friend.

D600-2728.jpg

D600-2729-2.jpg

dcb1inside.jpg

Just looking at heatsinks for my DCB1 build, going to hotrod with 10r bias resistors. I've got a case the same as I used for my ACAs, each heatsink is 245x85 finned, is one enough for all 4 driver's or should I use both heatsinks? If I was to use both I'd probably need to attach the drivers with short lengths of wire, not directly to the PCB, shouldn't be an issue should it?

Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just looking at heatsinks for my DCB1 build, going to hotrod with 10r bias resistors. I've got a case the same as I used for my ACAs, each heatsink is 245x85 finned, is one enough for all 4 driver's or should I use both heatsinks? If I was to use both I'd probably need to attach the drivers with short lengths of wire, not directly to the PCB, shouldn't be an issue should it?

Thanks
One's more than enough for their dissipation when set with 10R.

All good at power up, voltage is a bit low, 9.88 & 9.87 . I used the 12v taps on my transformer, should I change to the 15v? Also have plenty of heatsink area so should I change the bias resistor to 5r while I have the soldering iron on?

Sounds good, nice and quiet - just listening now to see what it's bringing to the system.

Thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
9.88 & 9.87 are not low rails in dcb1 practice and 16.6vdc rectified from 12v taps indicates strong mains so all is well. 15v taps would give more heat to the input Mosfet due to higher dc drop across but less Ciss capacitance. Try those taps also since you got the sinking but keep them in use only if you find the result bit more open in the treble. Else its just a waste in heat that it will be felt after you push the mA to high hot-rod.