At last, My Aleph 2+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Back to the drawing board. The coils get way too hot way too quick. I'll guess I'll use them in My apox preamp. I'm also concerned with the huge magnetic feild the produce. I didn't listen to see if I could hear niose picked up by the board (family is in bed), but you can actually feel the magnetic feild. It's like standing under those long distance electric transmission lines. Guess I'll make it a crc pi instead of clc. I've got a few volts to spare.

The lableing on the caps is very sloppy. tops have + cast into the plastic near the positive post.
I use a trick before putting full juce to the tranny. With onlt the rectifiers and capps connected, no load, tap the primary terminals to a 12v battery and watch the voltage across the caps. They should charge a little with each "tickle" and not bleed down too much. I got all caps to 10v with 8 pulses and it held, so I knew the polarities were right.

I think they are 16 ga, but I'm not positive. They looked heavy enough to carry 5A, but they are 1.3 ohms.
That's 6.5V drop at 5 amp bias and over 30 watts dissapated. The resistance made the sims look great, but I forgot to consider the temp rise of the coil. I should have known better. I bought some toriod donuts and 11 ga mag wire. I'll se what I can make and report back.

Brian,

You got me all fired up to start building my Aleph 2's :) I really like this serious hardware! Today is the official start of my project... I have bought myself about 280 metres (7,8 kg) of 2mm dia. transformer wire from a local transformer factory. A bargain for only 39 euro's... :) /me is happy now....

greetz,
Bouke

I just realized my Alephs have been in service 10 years! I still haven't finished the faces. I have a mini toggle switch hanging out the front with wires soldered and taped.

I've been chasing other hobbies. I built a Cobra replica and soldered up a meagsquirt for it, and built a CNC plasma table. I now have a set of Martin Logan Monolith panels I need to make a bias supply and get step up transformers for.

I see myself getting back to this one soon.

This is the best I could find on my office hard drive. Interesting how far digital camera have come in 10 years.

The last one, you can sort of see the amp in the corner. I was running my 833 amp with my home made OPT.

Attachments

• Picture 122.jpg
    Picture 122.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture 1253.jpg
    Picture 1253.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Picture 129.jpg
    Picture 129.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 161
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.