Firstwatt F1J

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, think the zazz and cleanness of the F5, with really good control top to bottom like F5 clone, possibly better. Sweetness in all parts of the spectrum like a single ended amp. For the F2 clone, maybe less midrange 'bloom' than before. It could be a suboptimal compensation network, but for sure the unit sounded clearer than it's F2clone cousin. The F1J would likely have even more control. Either one would be cool to try on your AN drivers. Of course other's may have different listening results.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Proposed Revised Schematic for F1J

I photo-edited the schematic to Nelson's recommended changes in red.
I think the C2 polarity is correct is using an e-cap, but not positive.

f1j.jpg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Two days later than planned I have finished my first F1J.:)

Since I heard the SSR100 in my BA-1 in the upper part of the outputstage I was really impressed by the sound. I also exchanged some time later the lower part and put in some more R100, though not reommended.
It was a try worth, better definiton, but somtimes a kind of harshness in the consonants.

J2 is not possible for me, so it was "F1 revisited" :cool: that took my attention.
Semisouth pure no compromise was the hope!

By good luck Suds gave away for free some F1 boards in the beginning of the year, waiting in my cellar for their opportunity.
Building was easy, only one channel had a bad mismatch, 2,4 V offset. I changed the small resistors to 1 %, I changed the big resistors to 2%, same problem. I changed the IRF matched them again, nothing.
Finally I changed the difficult board on the other side of the amp, no problem visible......

O.K. the Semisouths weren´t matched close enough.:eek: I had matched them at 200 mA, I suppose you have to match them at the current you have under real conditions.
I had already heard the channel without problems and was astonished what a good sound was coming out of one box.

With two channels a real surprise, such a speed, such an effortless presentation of music! The F1 really a tells a story, you can hear and hear, what he has to say!

There might be slight overtuned presence, due to my Black Gates or impedance mismatch, don´t kow yet.
I have no Fostex or Lowther (may come soon) and I read Nelsons description how to tune the different speakers with a network. He also mentioned the Jordans for sounding good, even not having an outstanding soundpressure.
The same is true for my speakers Thiel SCS 4, 4 Ohm, 88 db, really not a candidate for F1 with 6 Watt on 4 Ohms.

But it sounds and sounds! The time before I had the impression I need more Watt for this speaker. Must not be!
Maybe late Thiel made a very good coherent source and a very good impedance correction.

Mr. Pass :cool: , it was a wonderful experience this trip through the different First Watt Amplifiers during the last year, starting with F5 ending with F1 (at the moment)

Surprise is guarantied, building a F1J is highly recommended, you need really only the First Watts!:xfingers: Good luck!

.... is there an group buy for F1 boards left?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Do you have a lead on some Lowthers ? :D

hi tea-Bag,:)

my English is not sufficient to understand the meaning of your sentence.
Can you tell it the poor German the same content in some other words.

By the way, I succeeded to rearrange the Semisouths of the output stage in BA-1 in form of a Mu-follower, no offset, right bias current, but ...... I had a hum coming from one of the bias branches and I was not experienced enough to cancel the hum.

I gave up for the moment and build F1J!;):)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You obtain what I promised only I should go away onto the post. All right, I select it now the two, which I send to you.
How something should not be missing from your F series.

Wacky

hi Wacky,

that is really lightspeed! Your LU1014 arrived today, they look funny! I have never seen before this type of transistor case.
I ordered F3 pcp with suds (India), the Panasonic cap 15000uF/35V the rest is mainly here in my reserves. I suppose in 2-3 weeks F3 will play.

Thanks for the unique opportunity to test this FW amplifier.

Now I look more thoroughly what your build (Zen9)

best generg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Maybe late Thiel made a very good coherent source and a very good impedance correction.

Late Thiel would laugh at me:headshot: ..... he makes a very complicated and sophisticated 6 db crossover for this loudspeaker and I come and drive it with an current amplifier where completely other laws are to be observed. No crossover point will exact any more.

I m´excuse Mr. Thiel and I will use Nelsons article "Current Source Crossovers" to do a better matching! :goodbad: