Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Hello out there,

I made the first PSU-test today:

very important - first the dim-bulb-test - all o.k. till now

without dim-bulb-tester:
+- 34.1 V DC on the rails (will sag under load)
ripple at PSU-output: 0,2 mV AC. Not so bad. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Dirk :D

Attachments

• IXYS-Mosfet-Amp-dim-bulb-test.jpg
    IXYS-Mosfet-Amp-dim-bulb-test.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 685
  • IXYS-Mosfet-amp--railvoltage-ripple.jpg
    IXYS-Mosfet-amp--railvoltage-ripple.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 663
Indeed it is. Real estate's at a premium inside (the enclosure is just too small for the job really), having the faceplate upside down was the only way I could get the on/off switch working without hanging the transformer from the top of the enclosure! Didn't think that would have ended well...

142mm tall inside, 300mm deep. The heatsinks are about 10% smaller than a 4U deluxe. I'm getting about 51 - 53 degrees on the heatsinks with an ambient temperature of 25ish degrees and 400mv bias. So, either only just big enough, or just a smidgen too small.

I wanted the front panel switch as my children aren't old enough yet to think that there's something really cool about reaching over a hot amp and fumbling for a power switch on the back...

Good suggestion (and nice build by the way!). I thought of that, but decided against it, as it would have obstructed the ventilation slots in the base plate. With those puny heatsinks I wanted all the airflow I could get. I even moved the feet from their original position so that the ventilation slots weren't obscured. Plus my enclosure is 30mm narrower than the 4U (330mm vs 360mm internal), so it would have been very tight.

I feel like I've satisfactorily explored the limits of the smallest feasible enclosure for an Aleph J! Next time I'll pony up for a more appropriately sized unit.