Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

F5T

Allmost all mechanical work is done. My hands hurt and its late again. I thought i should share this with you guys.
That is an amp for a friend, his components. Due to lack of time, i offered him to build his F5T Version2 - Well that was fun.
This first image is meant for a teaser, more to come, maybe in seperate thread.

More pics!

More?

this is during the last month of planing.
Squizing an elefant in an matchbox is quite a challenge sir.
Here you go:

Attachments

• IMG_8210.jpg
    IMG_8210.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 619
  • IMG_8160.jpg
    IMG_8160.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 610
  • IMG_8294.jpg
    IMG_8294.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_8295.jpg
    IMG_8295.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_8377.jpg
    IMG_8377.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 557
Hehe, then you have to hurry, because the "owner" (it's me) knows where you live...

Can you explain a bit about the parts, and share some inside pics?

OK the parts:

Fets:
IRF240/9240 from Vishay. These IRF can be replaced by better sounding stuff!
You have send me matched mosfets. I measured them and tossed em back in the bag. I chose 4 pairs of my own pair-matched IRF's. the pairs are matched very well under heat. The N AND the P Fets are close together also. I made screeshots from the analyser 4 you.

The 16 caps are rated for 22.000 / 63Volts / 125 degrees, suprising small and very heavy. These are Mundorf caps, and, boy, are they expensive.

I talked allready about the rectifiers; MUR3020 doublediodes - the real fun stuff.

Connecting cables:
Connecting the Speacon to the rectifiers 4mm² this Thomann Elefantcable.
Connecting from Rectifiers to Caps 4mm² Lithiumbattery superflexible silicon-cables.
Then connecting from Caps to the Powerboards each polarity 2,5mm² (you cant solder 4mm² to the boards this will be a mess)
Output to Speakerterminals:
Van den Hull 4mm² CS14 (This cables my favorite, i equiped my internal speakercabling with all Van den Hull - Amen!)

Ah, the Speakon connector from the Transformer-case ambylical cord to the amp is quite tricky. It reads 40amps - i doubt it. As soon as i do the powertest on this big test-heatsink i will see whats happening beyond 8 amps at 20 Hz. I am electrician - i break parts.

On the Transformerside nothing to write home about. This cable, Elefant 8x4mm² superflexible is the real deal for such a project. The audiophonics transformer likes to humm i little, you can't hear it case-closed in hearing position.

The PLA Parts WILL melt at 78 degree celscius, its the transitionpoint for this material, at 55-60 degree it is stable. I really regret not having the copper parts. Anyway your amp will blow you away. Any Class-D fanbois here? Hold my beer.

The chassis is a very nice work from french audiophonics shiped from china.

Closing this i like to say that all this plan was depending on the powertransmission over 1 cable 1meter long, from transformer to the amp. We are talking here 4 times 24Volts at serious amps :) It took me weeks to find the cable and the connector. I mean, look at the capacitance - make them sing i though. And since you pay the bills i thought: Hey, Amps.

Now this amp will have to burn in. The needle needs to be activated and illumination applied. Some Makeup-stuff
and voilà.

Ah..yes.. the problem with the space inside the amp-chassis.
Since there are 16 caps, gold on black sleve, decision was made to place them in a row - V16 engine. Then the rectiviers had to go SOME-where, the choise was easy to make, after some 6 weeks and even more bottles of fine italian redwine i gave in to hide them just slighly under the capacitancebank. The monting-riggs for the diodes had to be constructed and printed, this turned out good. All Caps-banks and rectifier-riggs are mounted on rubberpads - we dont want vibrations on our chassis that make us no-sleep at night ;)

Hard to beliefe that a pile of Non-wife-factor-parts soldered together make fine music.

My first Amp build. ACA stereo mode, home made enclosure made from old Douglas Fir/Oregon and a smps inside. Will monitor temp but seems to stabilise with heat sinks at 50deg with ambient about 15 deg. Using NAD 7225pe I repaired as preamp. Very happy with sound, its not a fatiging sound and seems to improve the longer its on ?

Cheers

Thats a nice tiny amp, my next project.

who can find the error?

Ah..yes.. the problem with the space inside the amp-chassis.
Since there are 16 caps, gold on black sleve, decision was made to place them in a row - V16 engine. Then the rectiviers had to go SOME-where, the choise was easy to make, after some 6 weeks and even more bottles of fine italian redwine i gave in to hide them just slighly under the capacitancebank. The monting-riggs for the diodes had to be constructed and printed, this turned out good. All Caps-banks and rectifier-riggs are mounted on rubberpads - we dont want vibrations on our chassis that make us no-sleep at night ;)

Hard to beliefe that a pile of Non-wife-factor-parts soldered together make fine music.

THAT is a classic, who can tell?

ok this was BEFOR 1st powerup.

Attachments

• P-Channel on N oops.JPG
    P-Channel on N oops.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 713
NPXP

@elven ears,

Amazing build and execution, I love the custom organization of your wirings and custom extrusions you placed on the heatsink for the F5 boards. Beautiful work.

My build is much more rudimentary but I do use an 800VA Toroidy with (4) 20V secondaries for ease of wiring and nearly a dual mono setup.

Best,
Anand.

Attachments

• LMm3M5Rh.jpg
    LMm3M5Rh.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 585
  • It1lAR4h.jpg
    It1lAR4h.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 577
  • x9amyFih.jpg
    x9amyFih.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 581