Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Aleph J for headphones

This is my latest Aleph J build. It's pretty ugly, but it works okay. It's for low-impedance headphones. It has a 2SK214 lateral FET as the gain device, and currently an IRFP150 in the Aleph current source (will change this to something smaller). Now I need to build the second channel... oh I hate perfboard!

Attachments

• 20200411_125748.jpg
    20200411_125748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 974
This is my latest Aleph J build. It's pretty ugly, but it works okay. It's for low-impedance headphones. It has a 2SK214 lateral FET as the gain device, and currently an IRFP150 in the Aleph current source (will change this to something smaller). Now I need to build the second channel... oh I hate perfboard!

Interesting. Don't those plastic clamp protectors melt?

Looks like "Swiss" cheese. :Popworm:

Kidding ya man, it looks more like "Italian" spaghetti. :darkside:

I admire what it takes to make all that stuff run from looking at a schematic and using perf board, I'm pretty sure that's beyond my level to get something working like that.

When you get it all prettied up, be sure to post before and afters. :)

JT

Brings new meaning to the term "rapid prototyping."

For me it's always the question if learn KiCad again (because I keep forgetting how it works), design a board, send it to a board house, wait, wait, wait, and get a nice board -- or do I just start building the thing using a breadboard or dead-bug style. As you can tell I rarely go the KiCad route.

Interesting. Don't those plastic clamp protectors melt?

Nah. I am running this at 300 mA, so there is not much heat involved. But I also use this clampling method for testing MOSFETs at high power, and the plastic never had any issues.

Looks like "Swiss" cheese. :Popworm:

Kidding ya man, it looks more like "Italian" spaghetti. :darkside:

There is no such thing as "Swiss Cheese", at least not in Switzerland. Maybe this (worm cheese): Casu marzu - Wikipedia

I admire what it takes to make all that stuff run from looking at a schematic and using perf board, I'm pretty sure that's beyond my level to get something working like that.

Translating the schematic to the board is not that difficult. The difficult thing is to not loose your nerves when you're trying to align parts to the right holes... oh, and then the bottom of that board looks like a disaster!

:) I know that Swiss cheese isn't Swiss, but with your location it was a play on that. Spaghetti is also thought to have originated from Asian noodles too, but I digress. :p

Also, I really wasn't putting it down,...frankly, I was amazed that someone could keep all that stuff straight enough to get it working.

Last edited:
:) I know that Swiss cheese isn't Swiss, but with your location it was a play on that. Spaghetti is also thought to have originated from Asian noodles too, but I digress. :p

Also, I really wasn't putting it down,...frankly, I was amazed that someone could keep all that stuff straight enough to get it working.

Don't worry, I didn't get you wrong! Here's an "explanation" of what "North American Swiss cheese" might be (I still think this is as wrong as it gets): Swiss cheese (North America - Wikipedia)

This afternoon I built the second channel. I simply made a careful copy of the Asian Spaghetti mess, and the thing worked right away! Phew... now I have to wait for some parts to make a decent power supply. I am planning for a fully dual-mono PSU using SMPS with big LCRC filters.

Don't worry, I didn't get you wrong! Here's an "explanation" of what "North American Swiss cheese" might be (I still think this is as wrong as it gets): Swiss cheese (North America - Wikipedia)

This afternoon I built the second channel. I simply made a careful copy of the Asian Spaghetti mess, and the thing worked right away! Phew... now I have to wait for some parts to make a decent power supply. I am planning for a fully dual-mono PSU using SMPS with big LCRC filters.

"Asian Spaghetti," :worship:

That sound like it will be sweet, when you get it all policed up and running, be sure to drop in with your impressions and to let us see the finished product!

My measly attempt at a build. My first Pass build amplifier. I used what I had lying around. The boards were those by Rudy Ratlos here
338968d1364487212t-wtb-amp-camp-1-pcb-image1-png

Its powered by a 19v 6amp switch mode power supply. Initially the psu was to be stand alone or a plug in type, but then the whole unit felt so lite. I then cracked open the case, only to fins this nasty white silicone type stuff all over the place. Hence you guys will never see this inside of my amplifier LOLOL
IMG-20200330-162658-resized-20200330-081850435.jpg

IMG-20200402-123643-resized-20200411-091112401.jpg

All chassis parts salvaged from other redundent audio, feet, heatsinks, front, top, bottom and rear panels from 6mm mdf covered in veneer salvaged from a cab build that was standing outside for more than a year. I kinda like the look of it.