Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

My older daughter lives in a small apartment in NYC, until now without a stereo. I wanted to build something for her and decided to attempt a Bride of Zen preamplifier combined with a pair of single-ended bridged Amp Camp Amps. Aesthetics are very important to my daughter so I spent a considerable amount of time on the exterior cosmetics (though it may be hard to tell). Although relatively low-powered, this amp sounds absolutely fantastic.

The 400VA toroid is connected to bridge rectifiers and then two CRC power supply boards (ten 4,700 uF caps -> five 0.47R 5W resistors in parallel -> ten 4,700 uF caps, for a total of 94,000 uF per channel). The 50VA toroid powers the BOZ and the bicolor power indicator LED. After the amp has been running for a few hours the heatsinks are warm to the touch, not hot.

This project is the result of the generosity of Nelson Pass, who very kindly sent me four ACA boards (and made the BOZ and ACA circuits available to us all, of course). I do not have an engineering background and my passion for DIY audio sometimes leaves me stuck, unable to resolve what are likely simple problems. Zen Mod, 6L6, indra1, mjf and Alan4411 all provided guidance on this project and their help was indispensable. Many, many thanks!

Happy holidays to all.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• ACA Overhead (complete).jpg
    ACA Overhead (complete).jpg
    747.7 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Amp Interior R Ch_1.jpg
    Amp Interior R Ch_1.jpg
    943.7 KB · Views: 868
  • ACA Front Panel (off)_1.jpg
    ACA Front Panel (off)_1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,549
  • ACA Front Panel (lit)_1.jpg
    ACA Front Panel (lit)_1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,572
  • ACA Rear Panel_2.jpg
    ACA Rear Panel_2.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 1,574
  • ACA Power Supply (separated).jpg
    ACA Power Supply (separated).jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 1,498
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looks professional - where did you get the front panel done? I plan to build a Pearl 2 PS on protoboard and this is a great example of how to do it.

McQuaide:

Front Panel Express. If you're not familiar with them, they provide a simple, downloadable CAD program you can use to design front and rear panels. They'll drill, etch and color to your specifications (accurate to a tiny fraction of a millimeter). Not cheap, but worth it, especially if you plan on using that component for a long time.

BTW, I live in Wynnewood. If you're in the neighborhood and are interested in meeting, drop me a PM. There are a few other members in the area.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited: