Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Joined 2017
Paid Member
These pics are totally normal since I used all the standard stuff from the DIY store. While it's not too impressive compared to the fine projects in this thread, it felt like an accomplishment for me. I built the ACA which was fun but this project was a challenge for me and took lots of time putting together all the pieces, building it, problem solving, etc.

Next time I'll spend some time getting a custom front panel or something to make it look unique, put the LED holes on the front or something to make it more unique.

Here are more pics - https://photos.app.goo.gl/1xURKbb8MXJC89yo7

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,459
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,475
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,459
These pics are totally normal since I used all the standard stuff from the DIY store. While it's not too impressive compared to the fine projects in this thread, it felt like an accomplishment for me. I built the ACA which was fun but this project was a challenge for me and took lots of time putting together all the pieces, building it, problem solving, etc.

Next time I'll spend some time getting a custom front panel or something to make it look unique, put the LED holes on the front or something to make it more unique.

Here are more pics - https://photos.app.goo.gl/1xURKbb8MXJC89yo7

Very nice build. What’s the cost of all the parts?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
The amp sounds incredible! I’ve never heard anything so crisp and clear. Good recordings sound amazing. It’s like I can hear if the guy playing the stand up bass clipped his finger nails that day or not. A brush on a snare drum sounds like you can count the metal wires sliding across the surface. With electronic music it’s a bit more difficult because a bad sample or two in a loop is so obvious that it distracts me, but a good professionally mastered recording sounds awesome.

The Schiit pre works good with this amp vs the ACA. It has three modes; a passive stage, a JFET buffer and a tube gain stage. The JFET is gain +1 and the tube is gain +5. The ACA in balanced monoblocks sounded sweet with the buffer mode but I’m pretty sure it was clipping if I turned on the tubes because it sounded off. With the F5, I can turn on the tubes no problem. It seems to like it and it’s much louder. However I will say the only sonic difference is the loudness. The tubes don’t add a better sound to the amp.

At some point I added all the costs up and it was about $700. But I bought the pieces over 8 months so it wasn’t too bad. Well worth it, for the sound and for the experience. So much fun.

My current project, Aleph 5

My third amp build, my second power amp, and my first PASS amp!
Unlike previous builds I leapt into buying kits/parts before doing much research. I wanted to go Class A and the Alephs were adjustment free. I'm now thinking I should have gone much bigger on the case/heatsinks!!! I will probably end up cranking down the bias :( or putting a couple of 12v PC fans wired in series... As it is, I've had to think laterally on how to fit all in to the case... The trafo is huge!

Attachments

• IMG_1644.jpg
    IMG_1644.jpg
    899.8 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 509
A new BA-3 continues

I was working a little bit on on my BA-3.

Trafos are from Sedlbauer (300W each, output is at 24,4V)
PSU is running and tested at +/- 34,6 V (I expected around 33V)
Stuffing the `heaters`with the matched FETs.

Greets from Dirk

Attachments

• DSCN0990.JPG
    DSCN0990.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCN0989.JPG
    DSCN0989.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN0988.jpg
    DSCN0988.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN0987.JPG
    DSCN0987.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCN0986.JPG
    DSCN0986.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN0985.JPG
    DSCN0985.JPG
    423.7 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN0984.JPG
    DSCN0984.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN0983.JPG
    DSCN0983.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN0982.JPG
    DSCN0982.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 501
  • DSCN0991.JPG
    DSCN0991.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 418
Joined 2000
Paid Member
This isn't a criticism, just a suggestion for everyone. Rotating a photo and reducing the size of photos for posting on the forums is easier than you might think.

By reducing your photos to 800x480 pixels, you can save server and desktop disk space and have a photo that's large enough and easy enough to view.

Here are some photo editors. Some are free and others are not.
I use Graphical Image Manipulation Programs, aka, G.I.M.P..
It's free and cross platform capable, meaning it can be used on Linux, Windows and Mac. It is more complicated, but an excellent editor with tons of features.

25 Best Online Photo Editor Softwares & Apps (Free and Paid)

This isn't a criticism, just a suggestion for everyone. Rotating a photo and reducing the size of photos for posting on the forums is easier than you might think.

By reducing your photos to 800x480 pixels, you can save server and desktop disk space and have a photo that's large enough and easy enough to view.

Here are some photo editors. Some are free and others are not.
I use Graphical Image Manipulation Programs, aka, G.I.M.P..
It's free and cross platform capable, meaning it can be used on Linux, Windows and Mac. It is more complicated, but an excellent editor with tons of features.

25 Best Online Photo Editor Softwares & Apps (Free and Paid)

Gimp is nice and quite powerful, and I always install it on my PCs. But it is slow to load.
So, if want a really simple program, powerfull enough for web publishing, I recommend Paint.NET.
It is free, fast end simple!

:) morten

My third amp build, my second power amp, and my first PASS amp!

Unlike previous builds I leapt into buying kits/parts before doing much research. I wanted to go Class A and the Alephs were adjustment free. I'm now thinking I should have gone much bigger on the case/heatsinks!!! I will probably end up cranking down the bias :( or putting a couple of 12v PC fans wired in series... As it is, I've had to think laterally on how to fit all in to the case... The trafo is huge!

I feel like your PSU rectifier heat sinks will be too small. Just something to keep in mind as you bring your new amp into service.

By reducing your photos to 800x480 pixels, you can save server and desktop disk space and have a photo that's large enough and easy enough to view

Although yes, I’d agree that uploading full eight plus megapixel photos straight from the phone or camera is over the top and too much for those with slow internet (and takes a toll on the server) in this day and age 800x480 (just over a third of a megapixel) is very small and results in far too little detail being left in the photo.

I’d say a more reasonable size would be 1280 pixels on the long edge (eg. 1280x768 if 4:3) Although even that is a bare minimum usable size far as I’m concerned.