Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier

Pushing air v. pulling air

......There is an advantage to blowing in is that an air filter can be placed over fan grille to reduce dust buildup as positive pressure is maintained inside cabinet. For dusty environments, this would be preferable at expense of reduced cooling efficiency.

Two points:

1. Pushing air worked well for me, on one of the biggest "heat generating" amps (the Pass F5). See details at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...-build-beautiful-music-different-drummer.html

2. We probably need to take any further esoteric discussions of air flow and thermodynamics to a different (new) thread, and retain this tread for pictures of Pass Amps. (Or else we will upset the enthalpy of the diyaudio site!)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system. It includes the internal energy, which is the energy required to create a system, and the amount of energy required to make room for it by displacing its environment and establishing its volume and pressure.

``````````
I'm thinking he meant what he said... :) :) :) :) :)

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just to dilute your smart thermodynamics arguments, let me post my "F5 invasion" photo. If you don't mind :)
uje8y6y6.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just to dilute your smart thermodynamics arguments, let me post my "F5 invasion" photo. If you don't mind :)
uje8y6y6.jpg

I like the amount of entropy visible on the carpeted floor workbench ;)
I think we have all been there: you work on your diy project on the floor for lack of a convenient bench and 4 hours later you get up to find your back and leg muscles are all thrown out of wack. :p

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I like the amount of entropy visible on the carpeted floor workbench ;)
I think we have all been there: you work on your diy project on the floor for lack of a convenient bench and 4 hours later you get up to find your back and leg muscles are all thrown out of wack. :p

Actually, entropy was quite low: it was only a couple of ways I could place it on the floor being able to connect everything ;-). 4 hours?! With my back and knees now, it is more like 15 min :)

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system. It includes the internal energy, which is the energy required to create a system, and the amount of energy required to make room for it by displacing its environment and establishing its volume and pressure.

``````````
I'm thinking he meant what he said... :) :) :) :) :)

6L6, et al..... My thanks, Jim. I KNEW I didn't sleep through those three graduate courses in thermodynamics and computational fluid dynamics they forced me to take(!).

Yup. I said enthalpy....and that's what I meant--I was referring to the energy of the "photos of your Pass amps" thread. Q.E.D.

OK. Onward. Upward. Before we get into the glorious and incestuous details of the Carnot Cycle (guaranteed to put you to sleep!).

:D

AARGH, Maxwell law for fluids.

The nightmare has returned, and the cerebral pain.
Why Oh Why did I not leave this thread alone.

Danger, danger! Now we are getting into my academic background...! What's next??? Dirac transforms and Schrodinger equations of probabilistic quantum mechanics.....???? Run. Run away..... Quickly...... Nightmares abound!!! Do not enter! :eek:

Schrodinger equations of probabilistic quantum mechanics or not - It's good to see you back on the boards. :) Hope you are liking FLA.

Thanks, Bob..... a major move is never relaxing, but I'm settling in. I hate to be "almost on topic" in the thread, but it follows the "build it on the floor" topic. I had a great home lab in Colorado. I had to take a more restricted (and wife friendly) solution in Florida (no basement!). Some pics of my solutions. (Maybe we need a general DIYaudio forum describing "home audio workshops, complete with photos....!) That last photo: two matching 0-50v, 20 amp tightly regulated power supplies on the floor.....something that every Pass DIY'er should have handy!

Attachments

• Mar 13A-01.JPG
    Mar 13A-01.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,254
  • Mar 13A-02.JPG
    Mar 13A-02.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,268
  • Mar 13A-03.JPG
    Mar 13A-03.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Mar 13A-04.JPG
    Mar 13A-04.JPG