A blast from the past .. PAPA1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Threshold STASIS 1 original prototype mono amps-limited - eBay (item 220595235543 end time May-01-10 16:35:20 PDT)

Fan Cooled 2 ..... :eek:

original STASIS 1 project mono amplifiers,designed by the genius and founder of Threshold Corporation,Nelson Pass.

They were built in May of 1978 for research and development of the phenomenally successful and patented STASIS circuitry design.This pair is particularly historical,in that,they were debuted at the 1978 CES show in Chicago.I believe that Nelson demonstrated these amps himself,along with co-founder Rene Besne.I purchased these amps from Art Faris,designer and founder of Audible Illusions,who also owned a pair of the production run, of the totally different STASIS 1's.I'm told that the prototypes sounded superior to the production amps,due to different driver boards.The serial numbers on this pair I have for sale is 785006 and 785008.The amps are all original except for the large storage capacitors that were recently replaced with higher value 100v computer grade electrolytic Mallory caps-up from the original 75v capacitors.The STASIS 1's were great sounding before replacing the caps and sounded even better afterward, and with more authority!After the change, they bench tested at 180 watts into 8ohms for each amp.I have used the STASIS 1's for many years in my big system without a problem.They're awesome!!But,relunctantly,I have decided to downsize and put them out for someone else to enjoy and own a piece of Threshold history.I was told by one of the original Threshold techs,back in the early '80's,that these amps were very expensive to produce,and may have been marketed at $7500/pr in 1978-if put into production.WOW!Who knows what the cost would be today-probably upwards of $15000/pr.I doubt you'll find anything better for the money.Since these amps are fan-cooled,and not heat-sinked,their weight is only 56lbs a piece.This makes them fairly easy to move around. Remember,these amplifiers are extremely rare,so please make a SERIOUS offer! Shipping via UPS ground is times (2).Buyer needs to contact me for any shipping details. Shipping to U.S. and Canada only.Please feel free to ask any questions and thanks for viewing.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.