Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just forget about it, get a Rane or something if you won't mind chips or otherwise a discrete buffer with slopes and get your active system going.
Later on when B4 is finally available and you feel like it, give it a try
In sort, move on, it's common place not keeping up with the schedule in DIY, other things happening etc.

Just forget about it, get a Rane or something if you won't mind chips or otherwise a discrete buffer with slopes and get your active system going.
Later on when B4 is finally available and you feel like it, give it a try
In sort, move on, it's common place not keeping up with the schedule in DIY, other things happening etc.

Agreed on this one! Better yet, I highly recommend looking into DIY the JFET B1 crossover on this thread below. You can try a LR2 for 12db/oct or LR4 for 24db/oct version. I almost finished mine with P-P soldering. I had a switch to switch b/w 12db and 24db and multiple different Xover frequencies.

Regards,
B1 Active Crossover

Need a little help here. I'm in Madison, WI, and I've been refreshing the page several times every hour since about June 8, but I'm running dangerously low on food, water, TP and the like. I really need to get out of the house today and restock (especially the TP) and I wonder if anyone local might be available to come over and hit the refresh button for me for just a couple of hours.

We have not heard from you for a while. Are you ok?

We have not heard from you for a while. Are you ok?

I'm fine, if a little poorer than before. It was taking so long for the Lxmini crossover to appear that I bought a pair of (used) Danley SH50s.

I still have an interest in the crossover, but, I confess, mainly to bolster the appeal of the Linkwitz speaker system to any prospective buyer. So I only refresh the store page about 10 times a day. ;)

Why not DIY (also for balanced) ?

Replace the tube buffer by a JFET one as in the LPF schematics, and you have essentially the same thing :

My differential active crossover
403 | Forbidden | University of Southampton

And for DIY, you have the choice of resistor and capacitor values for your exact requirement.
And no unnecessary DIP switch contacts in the signal path.

403 | Forbidden | University of Southampton

Patrick

The links above are now "forbidden" and searching doesn't lead anywhere. Can anybody point me to the right place, or an alternative?

Yea but all the minidsp products are digital based. If you feed it digital it processes the signal then has a DAC to output analogue, if you have an analogue input minidsp it first does ADC then proccess then DAC. So I see this as the limiting factor. Not a lot of point having a muilty thousands dollar DAC and then giving this signal to a couple of hundred dollar DAC.

Just my thoughts.

I think you are almost certainly correct; the weak link I believe, that you can't circumnavigate, is the SRC.

Hello,

I hope this question does not appear rude because it is not meant to be. These days, digital crossover implementations are marketed to be able to handle driver linearization, time alignment, EQ, phase, and I don't know what else.

With such a list of apparent benefits, what is the appeal of an active crossover like the B4 or XVR-1 over a digital crossover? Do people like the sound of the active crossovers better? Do people not want to digitize an analog signal?

Thanks for any feedback you may offer.

With such a list of apparent benefits, what is the appeal of an active crossover like the B4 or XVR-1 over a digital crossover? Do people like the sound of the active crossovers better? Do people not want to digitize an analog signal?

A huge one: no AD/DA conversion. We can use our highend DACs, which need to be only 2 channel, with huge savings and simplicity there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.