Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It’s been suggested that a tweeter isn’t needed.
I thought about adding 045BE , but after many conversations and living with 2435 in a 2-way I must admit I’m a little torn . I’ll add it if needed . I want to see how close I can get this combination to my TAD 2404 .
I
Have another pair of H9800 if you’re interested ?
Richard

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The LXmini crossover itself would have the wrong settings, but the
board design should pretty much accommodate the curves I saw
assuming that 12 dB/octave is a suitable slope for you. It looks like
you might want a gentle depression in the upper mid, which is
allowed for in the artwork.

If you knew what curve you wanted specifically, then fixed resistor/cap
values could be used, and the existing LXmini artwork could serve.
However, I suspect that an adjustable version is what is going to be
needed, as I doubt we know the exact curves.

I have such a version in the works, where there are pots on the board,
allowing a 3:1 adjustment of frequencies for the crossovers and some
smaller adjustment for a low Q notch. If I stick it on my vast to-do list
it could be ready in a month or so.

2450sl/BE on H9800

H9800 clone with Truextent/2450sl

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 19.10.01.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 19.10.01.png
    454.5 KB · Views: 358
I want to try the DIY B4 in a biamp setup for a pair of Tannoy Monitor Golds. The circuit for the horn in the passive crossover incorporates a notch filter at ~ 3kHz and a slope correction at higher frequencies. I was thinking I could just retain that part of the passive crossover and use the B4 for the high and low pass. Does that make sense, or is it likely to be better to incorporate all of the corrections in the active crossover (which sounds pretty complex...).

I am attaching some curves representing the passive crossover corrections from John Riddley (tannoy). The violet line represents the correction without roll off in the tannoy crossover. The HPD probably uses a similar circuit - same tweeter. I have seen schematics for active crossovers, but the correction circuit looked very complex.

Attachments

• graph3.jpg
    graph3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks similar to the crossover for the Linkwitz LX mini, for which I am
awaiting pc board delivery today or tomorrow.

I have the Tannoy 15" HPD coaxial Gold from early 60's. Is that similar
to yours? Crossover curve looks a bit different.

Last edited:
I have the Tannoy 15" HPD coaxial Gold from early 60's. Is that similar
to yours? Crossover curve looks a bit different.

I'll be keen to see that schematic, though my electronics skills are pretty rudimentary.

The HPD succeeded the Monitor Gold some time in the 70s. The tweeter / horn remained little changed across many generations of the vintage Tannoys, and the HPDs and Golds have pretty much identical circuits for the tweeters in their crossovers. The earlier Reds didn't have a notch filter, so I guess they had a nice peak in their response.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in my experience , most complete (passive) xover/s for Pepperpot equipped DCs (doesn't matter what type of magnet) are Type 1009 and Type 1011 , used for K3808 and K3838 , practically SRM boxes

there is , if nothing else, practical survey of everything needed for Pepperpot Beastie to work

btw. time delay circuit thingie is waste of time

find downloadable pdf here : Dropbox - support.tannoy Tech_Manual_K3808_K3838.pdf

I had a look. The high pass, notch filter, and equalization look like the same design as the Monitor Gold. The results you get with a passive crossover seem to vary a lot depending on the type of caps you use in the tweeter circuit. I wound up building a crossover that allowed you to swap out the capacitors easily.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_135359.jpg
    IMG_20180311_135359.jpg
    738.1 KB · Views: 412
However, I suspect that an adjustable version is what is going to be

needed, as I doubt we know the exact curves.

I have such a version in the works, where there are pots on the board,

allowing a 3:1 adjustment of frequencies for the crossovers and some

smaller adjustment for a low Q notch. If I stick it on my vast to-do list

it could be ready in a month or so.

Adjustable will be good. But if the fixed component can be easily calculated, we can try out various settings.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.