Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am hoping to find out about the Pass Labs B4 crossover I have heard about.

Is this available for sale yet? Price?

I am hoping to find out some technical details of this unit if anyone can share about it.

I read about prototypes being in the field a few months back but haven't heard much since.

I was hoping to find out if it offers level adjustment for using different sensitivity drivers/amps.

I also am hoping to find out the crossover points.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Nick

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The B4 is a First Watt piece. There were 10 prototypes made
and floated around.

The initial design was strictly geared around full range drivers
used with woofers, both in open baffles, which included some
appropriate EQ circuits.

There is another design which is simply a crossover without the
EQ features.

Currently I'm working up the final artwork for a product to
appear in a couple months or so.

:cool:

Before B4 was B5?

Hi Jon,

thanks for that information. I was not aware of the renaming, but as long as the expected B4 is a 2-way stereo active crossover (or can be paired to achieve this) then it is what I need.
The aim is (still) to bi-amp an NS100M and JBL 4343 speakers and I am in the embarrassing situation of having nearly all the bits assembled except for the piece that goes in the middle, the B4 (apparently ex-B5!).

Thanks again

George

B5

Hi George:

Just so you understand, the B5 is designed specifically for open baffle systems, primarily for use with a fullrange on top. The highest crossover frequency is 300 hz, and there is a bass boost around 40 hz to make up for the cancelation of low frequencies in an open baffle.

The B4 will be designed with a wider range of crossover frequencies, slopes from 6 db/octave to 24 db/octave, and no bass boost.

B4 availability

I personally believe this will be an extremely attractive design, giving users not only the ability to bi-amp, but also to rapidly prototype different crossover points and slopes. It should be on every speaker builders wish list. Yesterday I prototyped no less than 20 different crossovers on my speakers in the morning using an XVR-1 electronic crossover. The results were completely counter intuitive, with a different hi-pass and low-pass frequency giving the absolute best phase and frequency response. Try doing that with solder and discrete components. You probably would not even try different frequencies, or different slopes, unless you had a lot of patience and a huge parts bin.

The more people who state they want one, the more likely this project will be sped along. So if you are interested, speak up!

Speak Up!

Hi,

That was useful information and very reassuring. I think the B4 is only a year or so behind schedule. I would like to be able to buy the kits before the Euro crashes over here. After that Papa is going to have to learn a bartering system :)

So, how can we apply a little (polite) pressure to get the kits going? How about a march on Pass Labs, banners and so on? Anyone?

George

Polite Pressure

I would just write a simple note, indicating that you believe this will be a great product, you need at least one, and you believe that others will be very interested as well. Get any friends who feel agree to do the same.

No banners or marching on Pass Labs. Too much work, and Nelson would spend time digging a mote and building defensive walls rather than finishing the B4.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.