Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Quick answers:

There will be a "B5" version for OB's.

SAL OB works great. The "B5" version is probably best as it allows the EQ
for both drivers.

No reason you can't just buy the boards for the Toshiba/LS versions. The
other Jfet versions will be more onerous for those without populations of the
Jfets for selection, and the price of those will be competitive, there's no point.

A little patience, and all will be made available.

Now it's back to moving my stuff in storage...

Thank you Mr. Pass. You are amazing! I'll make sure I'll make it to the Amp camp this year. Last year, I did not make it to amp cap to listen to your talk and Linkwitz's talk and I still regret ever since now that I'm drawing myself to this OB DIY project.

I'm putting pieces together for my first OB DIY project ever and I start with SAL FR driver :) Active Xover is the last piece of the puzzle.

While waiting for the DIY B5 kit, I'm ordering miniDSP 2x4HD with UMIK-1 microphone to play around and educate myself about XO freq/phase alignment for each driver. However, I know the sound quality wise of Digital DSP can't compare or come closed to the real analog xover B5. That's why I'm still patiently waiting for the real thing coming up soon.

Thanks again Mr. Pass
Regards,
Tom

Quick answers:

for both drivers.

Jfets for selection, and the price of those will be competitive, there's no point.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While waiting for the DIY B5 kit, I'm ordering miniDSP 2x4HD with UMIK-1 microphone to play around and educate myself about XO freq/phase alignment for each driver. However, I know the sound quality wise of Digital DSP can't compare or come closed to the real analog xover B5.

I had occasion to listen to the 2x4HD at SL's (he's at the other end of Walk
On Beach) not long ago, and I found it very much better than the original
piece such that it is now competitive with analog.

Not so much if you have to convert your analog signal to digital for vinyl...

Mr. Pass,

I hope you're keeping well. I have one more question regarding DIY B5 Kit that uses complementary pair of Toshiba 2SK170/2SJ74.

For those that do not have a luxury of owning big stacks of 2SJ74 such as myself, can we get away by substituting 2SJ74 with 2SK170 with gate and source connected together ?

In short, we will have all buffer stages of N-channel Jfet 2SK170 on top that tied to V+ and bottom of N-channel Jfet 2SK170 with gate and source connected together and tied to V-.

Let me know your thoughts on this one.
Thanks,
Tom
Quick answers:

for both drivers.

I am very interested in the crossover for the LXMini. On his page Siegfried mentioned that Class A firstwatt type amps can be used for the mid/tweeter driver, but that it needed to have the same gain as the woofer amp because of how the miniDSP is configured. He recommended additional attenuation on one of the amps to get them equal.

Since I am very likely to use a Class A amp for the tweeter and Class D for the woofer, I was wondering if the LXMini ASP had this sort of gain adjustment built-in or if I still need external attenuation to balance out the amplifiers.

Just stumbled across this thread as I've been looking for an active crossover for my horns. Currently use minidsp for the bass only and passive xover for the mid-hf. Just going to change / add filter caps on my ACA to make a sort of active.... but a proper Pass crossover would be just the ticket!
Minidsp is rubbish. If Nelson Pass puts his name next to a crossover I'll build it no question!

nzlowie,

I don't think minidsp is rubbish especially the new model MiniDSP 2x4HD even though I'm not a big fan of DSP digital either as all of my gears are analog except for the Schitt multigigabit DAC. As Nelson even mentioned on #146
I had occasion to listen to the 2x4HD at SL's (he's at the other end of Walk
On Beach) not long ago, and I found it very much better than the original
piece such that it is now competitive with analog.

Not so much if you have to convert your analog signal to digital for vinyl...

-Tom
Just stumbled across this thread as I've been looking for an active crossover for my horns. Currently use minidsp for the bass only and passive xover for the mid-hf. Just going to change / add filter caps on my ACA to make a sort of active.... but a proper Pass crossover would be just the ticket!
Minidsp is rubbish. If Nelson Pass puts his name next to a crossover I'll build it no question!

Maybe rubbish was a bit harsh... I tried the all digital Open DRC early on with my horn project, sure you could get the response looking good but the sound stage and imagery never matched my passive xover results. Even when I set it to the same xover slopes (and matched measured response) it never sounded as good as passive.

All the time everyone said I must be using it wrong, even in the most basic un eq'd form it wasn't a match for passive.

Wasn't really that surprised as it would all depend on the quality of the minidsp DAC, if it was something special we'd use it as a DAC.... cheaper than most.

To my mind a good analogue active xover will be the ticket.

When can we get our hands on it???

I see. Thanks for sharing. I just got my MiniDSP 2x4HD in the email today. Gonna try it out with biamping on my OB speakers and see what I got out of it.

I think Nelson says DIY B5 kit will be in the store very soon so as with other flavors of Active Xovers.

-Tom
Maybe rubbish was a bit harsh... I tried the all digital Open DRC early on with my horn project, sure you could get the response looking good but the sound stage and imagery never matched my passive xover results. Even when I set it to the same xover slopes (and matched measured response) it never sounded as good as passive.

All the time everyone said I must be using it wrong, even in the most basic un eq'd form it wasn't a match for passive.

Wasn't really that surprised as it would all depend on the quality of the minidsp DAC, if it was something special we'd use it as a DAC.... cheaper than most.

To my mind a good analogue active xover will be the ticket.

When can we get our hands on it???

If there's a DAC you like in particular you can use it in a miniDSP system. Use a nanoDIGI 2x8 instead which is the same as a miniDSP except with digital outputs so you can feed a DAC. I have plans to create a 2 way system like this using two Schiit Modi MB DACs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.