Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have two boards sitting here, identical except for one has board mounted
rca connectors and power connector and the other has holes for wire.

Any preferences?

Also I will do a small revision as I found a cute way to extend the ranges
of the 6/18 slope frequencies.

On my end this would be in the store next month.

:cheers:

The open version with attached RCA's and power connector is perfect!

With my open baffle crossover I learned that I don't really need a chassis because the top is off most of the time to play with the slopes and crossover points.

Besides, the layout of the board and its components is a thing of beauty! :D

Dear Nelson, for me the version with the holes for wires would be perfect. As I experiment a lot with different full range/wideband speakers in my open baffles, I could really use the adjustability of the B4, at least between 80-250 Hz. However, the B4 doesn't incorporate the B5's “baffle step correction” and the 6 dB equalization “bump” at 20 Hz, which do seem to come with the LX Mini crossover. Do you think these could somehow be emulated with the B4? Otherwise I'd probably have to buy several LX Mini crossovers, which of course isn't a big deal either.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:^)

Check with Variac, i should already be on his list.

It will be used with one of our WAW, a SIT3 on top and a Toshiba (or Hitachi) SEARs dual mono MOSFET 150w AB amp on the bottom (bias turned up a bit and otherwise cleaned up as well) — wish i could afford to sub in an XA-25 :^)

I’ll probably put it into the empty Counterpoint pre-amp chassis i have.

dave

Good morning Mr. Pass,
good morning DIYers,

these are fantastic news about the B4 - crossover!

For me it doesn't matter if there are holes for directtly mounted RCAs or smaller wire - holes.
Groundplane on underside of the pcb is also a very good idea.

I am curious to see some pics.:D

Have a good week!

Dirk

My phone takes marginal pics. But here you go:

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 508
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.