Pass Labs B4 crossover questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, for folks wanting to run a pair of Georges in bridged mode in a multi-amped system with B4 crossover, there’d need to be some conversion of the latter’s output from SE to differential? Any suggestions for that?
I mean the answer could be just buy a cheap Ashly, DBX or Behringer, but there are some limits ? ;)

Could well be a case where the case costs more than the contents. To paraphrase what Paul Klipsch may not have ever actually said “what this country needs is a good $50 chassis”.

By the time you do the math on the customizaton, the mini-dissipante for the ACA is a helluva bargain. I built a chassis from scratch for a mini-aleph groub buy few years ago, and it was a royal pain in diaz.

I've been following this with interest and would!d like the thoughts of the experts here before jumping in to this build. (I know it's not available yet...)
I first tried the digital minidsp for my attempt at active, never liked it and always went back to a passive xover. When I built the 4 channels of ACA it was the intention of active, my latest incarnation of this uses a 2x4 analog minidsp with each pair of amps . Replicated for the other channel.

My question is , do the experts here believe that this style of active xover will outperform the minidsp? Yes we can eq in minidsp but I'm not sure that this doesn't introduce more problems than it solves...... I just don't like all the signal processing that happens within the minidsp, we spend thousands on DAC's to get purity of signal then use a hundred odd dollar board to do the next part.

My system has BMS coaxial compression driver's on LeCleach horns so really a good match for the ACA's.

Love to hear your thoughts. Also love building stuff so that's no excuse!

My question is , do the experts here believe that this style of active xover will outperform the minidsp? Yes we can eq in minidsp but I'm not sure that this doesn't introduce more problems than it solves...... I just don't like all the signal processing that happens within the minidsp, we spend thousands on DAC's to get purity of signal then use a hundred odd dollar board to do the next part.

You get the answer from the expert it's Papa show the filters curves graph etc.

start about DSP and analogue version at 29:29

Mr Pass at BAF 2017

Enjoy :)

Hi Mr. Nelson, Hi all,
I'm thinking of biamplifying my Tannoy Cheviot Loudspeakers, equipped with Dual Concentric HPD315 (12" Woofer with Xover frequency around 1000Hz and concentric compression driver for the HF).
I look forward the B4 Kit to disconnect the actual passive crossover and go with active bi-amplification.
In your opinion is a viable solution?
:)
Lu

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@ascaso

there is one series cell , made of cap and resistor in parallel

that's for linear boost of voltage , 6db/oct , because all compression drivers are declining in SPL with frequency , starting from frequency in strict corelation with diameter of dome, practically VC dia

I believe that corelation was established by Ray Newman , of JBL

@Mr. Nelson @Zen Mod
Many thanks for the interest,
I apologize but for now I can't post that measures.
If I understood well, Mr Nelson Speaker are the HPD385 (15" woofer) the mine are HPD315 (12" woofer).
I'm not sure that the HF Drivers are the same both for 315 and for 385.
Anyway the xover regarding the HF seem to be very close or equal on both HPDs.
Here are both the xover.
Thanks alot another time !
Lu

tannoy

tannoy

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The crossovers are similar, but ours are based on the Filton version,
which was adjusted for a more efficient horn driver.

Here is a picture of it.

For the best results we would want a filter response curve.

Attachments

• TANNOY-XOVER-V-5-2-2006-8-GA-2.JPG
    TANNOY-XOVER-V-5-2-2006-8-GA-2.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 300
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.