Nakamichi PA-7 and PA-5 amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

New to DIY audio.

I just picked up a pair of PA-7's and a PA-5 for use with the music and HT rig. I recently picked up a pair of Legacy Signature III's for the front, and a Legacy Silver Screen for the center channel. Will be using Polk LSI 15's for the rear speakers.

I am really impressed with the sound of the Nak amps. I've been told that they are basically the same as Threshold amps.

Can someone provide some more background? Thanks!

I would go with the Mk1. I believe that Nakamichi scewed with Mr.Pass's original design in the Mk2 and it does not sound as good despite better distortion numbers.

Jam

Thanks, Jam.

As it turns out, I have obtaind 2 PA-7's and 1 PA-5 (MK1).

I did see a thread where Mr. Pass had designed an updated driver board for the PA-7. I might look at that to see just what the update does.

So far, I really like the PA-5. It's a great amp, with lots of reserve power and excellent control of the bass drivers. I can't wait for the PA-7's to arrive next week.

All things must Pass

Redwingnine,

Send me an e-mail. I think I have a copy of the service manual if you want.
I believe that Mr.Pass scored a winner with the Stasis output stage which in my humble opinion is far better than most traditonal topologies. I used to have a PA-7 which still rivals most contemporary designs. I am sure a few mods would turn it into a giant killer..........bummer, I should have kept my PA-7.....like all Mr.Pass's designs it stands the test of time.

Regards,
Jam

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.