New Amp "ULTRASYMMETRY" from Nelson Pass - still a Concept Amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From anywhere on the web I have found some photos from prototype of the brand new amp "ULTRASYMMETRY" (as I recall right from the CES).

Are there any news?

If I guess right the sizes of heatsinks, then the idle current for each channel must be in such aera to reach 1 - 2 KW power (heat) loss. Thus this must be an ultimate sounding amp under all encountered conditions - even by full range ribbon loudspeakers.

currently I found only this:
*µ¼Ö¤jÆU :: View topic - Ultra Symmetry ¥*¿Å¦¡«e¯Å©ñ¤j¾¹

Which topology is in use there?

Attachments

• Pass Ultrasymmetry amp.jpg
    Pass Ultrasymmetry amp.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,797
  • Pass Ultrasymmetry front end.jpg
    Pass Ultrasymmetry front end.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,792
  • Pass Ultrasymmetry  Ampere Meter.jpg
    Pass Ultrasymmetry Ampere Meter.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,693
  • Pass Ultrasymmetry power supply .jpg
    Pass Ultrasymmetry power supply .jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,654
Last edited:
Front end PCB "Concept FE R0"

May be a great amp but i wonder if aluminium is indeed such a great conductor?
because of the large thickness of the material the disadvantage to copper is negligible - I think.

I read by the first article about the single ended power amp "ZEN" this:

There are two most essential principles to audio amplifier design. The
first is simplicity. The second is linearity.
Einstein said, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no
simpler." Simplicity is a common element of the best and most subtle
designs. It is preferred for purely aesthetic reasons, but also because
fewer elements color the sound less, and lose less information.

This rule is observed by all me known commercial and diy amplifier topologies from Mr. Nelson Pass since the ZEN/Aleph topologies. Consequently, even here.

This circuit from the PCB seems by first look a bit more complicated, because there are various soldered and unsoldered jumpers to test different topologies and 6 pieces dual jFETs 2SK389 and/or 2SJ109
Abbreviations: G-S-D = gate/source/drain, CAS = Cascode. PAR unknown for me - perhaps power amplifier right?
1) setting jumpers each half: 2x "G PAR" 2x "S PAR" 2x "D PAR"
2) jumpers, not in use, each half: 2x "G-CAS" and 2x "D-CAS" (there are no "S-CAS" mentioned)

There are still following: at both halves:
3x 750 ohms/3watt sky (heaven) blue resistor from Matsushita
14 variable cermet resistors "4x BIAS, 4x CASCODE, 1x "+ CASCODE" 1x "- CASCODE", 1x Gain and 3x without advices
10 TO220 MOSFETs for each half mounted on black anodized small heatsinks
10 TO247 MOSFETs for each half mounted to the main outside heatsink
4 pieces of blue KP foil caps and various resistors in brown colour.

The most likely topology for the voltage gain stage here is a mirror symmetric double differential cascode, i. e. an ensemble of normal and folded cascode.
And for the power buffer pure class-A stage (I think push pull true complementary) there are two various modes: Cascoded buffer (cascoded power source follower) and normal push pull source follower (in last case the twice of the paralleled output MOSFETs in use).

I try to create in the moment such topology in a CSPP (Circlotron) arrangement to get more symmetric behavior. Unfortunately I need therefore 4 power supplies. But one advantage I note already by the SRPP output stage by simulation:
no difference regarded THD values between cascoded and not cascoded version. In this respect there is already an (actually always wanted) simplification again.

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The concept amps were just that - experimental circuits and
chassis for evaluating potential future product.

We have already gathered most of the information we wanted
from them, and one pair currently graces my listening room
while the other pair is disassembled, waiting for revised circuits.

Actual product is scheduled for later this year.

These are unrelated to Wensan's excellent design, which I
hope he will develop further.

:cool:

hi Mr. Pass... :)

for concept prototypes, who does your chassis work? Its just amazingly beatiful and i would be aspiring to get something of similar high quality for one of my diy projects.

Is there a rapid prototyping shop for metal work in the bay area? I got a house in mountain view that i visit whenever i'm out of asia.

about Wensan's excellent design I have found this:
http://mail.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19517
translation in english isn't possible, but amazingly in German:
Google Nachricht
unfortunately with much translation loss

Hello

After few try, I've succeed to have a chineese english Google translation, here is the link.

Google Traduire

They don't allow to save a Google translated page, but I've copy-paste the page into a word document. If the link don't work I can send the .doc document to someone who can host it, it's a 800k size.

Btw mr Pass, is this concept amps case will become the new Pass Lab amp case ?

The Pass Lab amps cases alway's look awesome and are and still my all times favorites one sinces years.

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Hello
After few try, I've succeed to have a chineese english Google translation, here is the link.
Google Traduire
They don't allow to save a Google translated page, but I've copy-paste the page into a word document. If the link don't work I can send the .doc document to someone who can host it, it's a 800k size.
Btw mr Pass, is this concept amps case will become the new Pass Lab amp case ?
The Pass Lab amps cases alway's look awesome and are and still my all times favorites one sinces years. Bye Gaetan

Great! - thank you very much

The concept amps were just that - experimental circuits and
chassis for evaluating potential future product.

We have already gathered most of the information we wanted
from them, and one pair currently graces my listening room
while the other pair is disassembled, waiting for revised circuits.

Actual product is scheduled for later this year.

These are unrelated to Wensan's excellent design, which I
hope he will develop further.

I noticed the pot labeled "Cascode". I'd wondered about this. When doing the cascode on my amp, I'd thought about a pot to "find the sweet spot". Is this the idea with the pot in your concept amp?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The concept amp was delayed for all the usual reasons, but
in the end it didn't sound good enough and our distribution
wanted more power, so we began a re-design. At this time
it is scheduled for release late summer. It still looks a lot
like the photos above.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.