Simple Circlotron with Lateral MOSFETs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Turning this into a hybrid

A differential amp/driver stage can easily be built using 3 triodes like say 6sn7. Keep the output stage with the SK135 source followers. Then add a Mullard-like front end albeit with 3 triodes. Grounded cathode first. Then directly coupled into a long tailed pair. Each of the plates connected to the signal caps on the MOSEFET gates. Simple and sounds great. True midrange magic. No feedback.:D

D.

Hello everyone,
Finally I decided to make this Juma circlotron and I can say that this sounds really great. At first it was a little problem with the layout of the wiring and unstable DC offset and the current through the output MOSFET. Now everything is stable and is a great pleasure to hear the presentation of the sound of this amplifier.
I am very pleased and grateful to the constructor on the project.
PS. Cubie will wait a while to build.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 826
I'd like to add a small contribution here. Built one of these but as a completely different beast with E88CC in gain stage instead (with a lot of help from Juma and Zen, to be noted) and later needed to figure out is there any difference in sound between the original and the hybrid version, so, built one more, this one, but as I didn't want SE on input, tried a bit different approach. It works fine (huge understatement) but I usually say "fine" when I can't find anything that would bother me. On the attached images the fulldiff sch. of the gain stage, one messy image of the amp and where it's used. This amp is the black one at bottom with the big VU meters...

Attachments

• cirklotron_balanced_in_OPA1632.gif
    cirklotron_balanced_in_OPA1632.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 731
  • cirklotron_opa1632.2SK1058.jpg
    cirklotron_opa1632.2SK1058.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 718
  • systemjan2015_09.JPG
    systemjan2015_09.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 695
It should work with P-channel JFET (J271 with inverted polarity for buffer cell) but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort - lower gm, wildly varying Idss, different transfer curve....
You'll have to test and experiment a bit...

Juma,

thanks a lot for your comment. It's not about having the pretention to make it "better" ... just having the J-fets and enough to match them...

Would you have a guestimation of what Idss to aim for ?

Thanks,

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.