Pearl Two

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In order to achieve good gain, decreasing R14 did not add much gain, but replacing R15 jumper with a 1k resistor did give more gain. It could still use a bit more.

Just for my own curiosity, was this using a line stage with gain, or through one of the DCB1 buffers?

I'm also building Pearl 2 (slowly) and with F-5 and B-1, am needing more gain. So just wondering about your pre situation. I am also putting together parts for my Pumpkin build, which should solve any gain problems.

My current cart. (Shure V15Vxmr) has quite a bit more gain than the Denon you are using as well, so maybe it wont be a problem.

Russellc

Last edited:
You should not have any problems with the Shure V15 (3mV) and the PII. The DL103 has about 0.3mV output, 1/10th of the Shure.

I currently use it with the MC3 turbo :) No issue, I just reduced the gain of 2nd stage, the RIAA pre gives me roughly a "CD" output level. Without the mod I would get about 4V at the output ... definitively too much :rolleyes:

If one would intend to use Preal II with let's say a regular Planar III with an Elys cart, as this cart has very high output level gain of the 2nd stage should be reduced accordingly, not to raise the THD of the RIAA at the output. I found it very enjoyable to reduce gain in my setup. Currently in mine RFB = 50k instead of 100k. For the Elys, about 33k should be fine, 1st stage is unlikely to clip. Just keep in mind that doing so feedback is increased, so changes in sound character may occur.

Best regards,

nAr

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There is currently no PSU board for the PII. Any Firstwatt PS board would work, or even a simple CRC filter. The PII boards have additional filtering circuitry before the main circuit.

The Firstwatt PS boards are available from cviller, peter daniel and brianGT. Take your pick.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Gents,

I would like to order the boards , but would also like to order the PSU board .

Can someone point me in the right direction for the appropriate board please ?

Thanks, Rich

Building a Pearl 2 as well now that the Aleph is done? I have the Pearl 2 boards and matched fets, just about ready to start collecting parts. Same thing with Pumpkin preamp. Cant wait to have them done!

Russellc

All parts are in including parts for power supply. Time to get started.

Attachments

• Photo01111843.jpg
    Photo01111843.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,041