Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Pearl Two
Pearl Two
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2011, 04:39 AM   #621
budwiser is offline budwiser  United States
diyAudio Member

So I don't really want to have a separate power supply cabinet. Is it possible to put the power supply in the same cabinet as the pearl circuit without causing any problems?
Old 21st January 2011, 08:21 AM   #622
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwiser View Post
So I don't really want to have a separate power supply cabinet. Is it possible to put the power supply in the same cabinet as the pearl circuit without causing any problems?
Yes, it is however possible. But be prepared to be more exposed to hum problems, because your circuit will likely get more parasitic magnetical flux losses from the transformer. You can cure this by moving / orienting the transformer in a way noise is minimized. Is distance is good enough, your circuit wil have more chances to produce quiet operation.

Best,

nAr
Old 25th January 2011, 02:52 PM   #623
gjfim is offline gjfim  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Questions for Tea-Bag's post #599

Hi Tea-Bag,

Thanks for posting your shunt regulator picture. With off-board voltage regulation, what parts on the Pearl II PCB did you omit? Also, where on the Pearl II PCB did you connect input voltages? Thanks for the information.
Gary
Old 25th January 2011, 03:15 PM   #624
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Pearl Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjfim View Post
Hi Tea-Bag,

Thanks for posting your shunt regulator picture. With off-board voltage regulation, what parts on the Pearl II PCB did you omit? Also, where on the Pearl II PCB did you connect input voltages? Thanks for the information.
Gary
Gary,
This is what it looks like, and how to add in V+ and V-
There are several ground points to choose from.
If I can get this running, bout anyone can!

NOTE FOR OTHERS: The Regulator has been removed, for replacement of an off board one. This is NOT the default PEARL 2 schematic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pear_two_sans_regulator.jpg (192.5 KB, 859 views)
Salas Boards 2018#2 ​ ​Click Here to Sign Up! | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits In Stock, PM | M2C Boards, PS and transformers Available PM | Sony VFET CSX2 AL boards In Stock

Last edited by Tea-Bag; 25th January 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 25th January 2011, 04:45 PM   #625
eclectic2k is offline eclectic2k  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwiser View Post
it's always possible. And done all the time. As nAr said, it's just a little riskier. making a separate compartment with some shielding can help. Also, the field strength follows inverse square law (dropping off proportional to distance squared), so any extra distance you can provide inside the chassis goes a long way. If you have a big chassis this is good

If you take a bit of care in dressing/twisting wires, and chassis layout, you should not have any problems.

That said, for my current phono, and for the Pearl2 (when I get to it) I put the transformer and fuse in a small external enclosure, and just ran the low voltage AC to the preamp.

-Chris
Old 25th January 2011, 06:52 PM   #626
nar is offline nar
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic2k View Post
That said, for my current phono, and for the Pearl2 (when I get to it) I put the transformer and fuse in a small external enclosure, and just ran the low voltage AC to the preamp.

-Chris
This is always a preferred solution, even if it raises cost and complexity for supplementary I/Os. At least the phono stage can be in a closed aluminum box that is directly linked to Earth, audio ground is separated from chassis. The PSU box can be conveniently put 2 meters away the turntable and Pearl II. I push the ridiculous side to put the rectifiers and 1st pair of reservoirs near the transformer, in the PSU box, to carry only unregulated DC to the Pearl II box. As the PSU ground is also a signal ground, at this place I link audio ground to Earth via a thermistor CL60. For now it doesn't fail, ground connection but no loop. And no noise, it is totally silent ! Except for Music

Today I made some internal subjective wiring tests.
  • For the inputs I now use 30 AWG copper silver-plated, with Kynar insulation, unshielded. It seems to suit the cartridge prolongation very nicely No noise, it is still dead silent.
  • For the output section, what gives best subjective result is a twist of 2 x 30 AWG Kynar insulated wires. I recall the difference between gauges :

20 AWG 0,812 mm dia. / cross section 0,5190 mm2 (standard hookup wire)
30 AWG 0,255 mm dia. / cross section 0,0503 mm2

So output section is only 0,1006 mm2.

Multistranded wire of thicker dia. proved to gave poorer results, revealing a simplified / muddied / rounded sonic result.

Best upgrade would be to use the silver ribbons. I will make them later as part of an upgrade kit So, it leaves room for progression, still

Best regards,

nAr
Old 28th January 2011, 01:05 AM   #627
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pearl Two
Completed my two Pearl 2 PCB. They worked perfectly the first time
I checked the RIAA curve accuracy, and it is almost perfect, textbook results. Great work Wayne!

And I took DC voltage measurements all around the circuit. These readings are great when you service a board. It may be usefull for some of you guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pearl2_RIAA_Curve.JPG (167.8 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg Pearl2_Volt_Readings.JPG (77.6 KB, 788 views)
Old 28th January 2011, 01:28 AM   #628
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Pearl Two
Thanks Algar,

I'm starting my PII today. Hoping to get most of it done over the weekend.
Old 28th January 2011, 01:36 AM   #629
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Pearl Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algar_emi View Post
Completed my two Pearl 2 PCB. They worked perfectly the first time
I checked the RIAA curve accuracy, and it is almost perfect, textbook results. Great work Wayne!

And I took DC voltage measurements all around the circuit. These readings are great when you service a board. It may be usefull for some of you guys
Is there enough drop across Q3?
Old 28th January 2011, 02:03 AM   #630
gotoma8 is offline gotoma8  United States
diyAudio Member

Great to hear that so many have completed P2 and it seems good. I did the XONO about 6 months ago, so, still listening to that. Haven't even order the parts to go on the P2 boards yet...so, I'll be reading up and asking for parts list etc...soon!

So, any finished pictures, etc?

T

Pearl TwoHide this!Advertise here!