I need Help with my F5....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just started to commission my F5 and I have a problem with the power supply,
Using cviller amp, PS and bridge pcb's
I am using a variac for all preliminary tests.
I checked the transformer and got 18VAC
I then hooked up the bridges and got 24VDC form both.

Now here's the problem,
When I hook the rectifiers up to the capacitor banks the readings were all over the place as I brought up the variac so I stopped.
A couple of the caps got very warm to the touch and the variac started to hum quite loud.
I think that I shoud read +24v from V+ to gnd and -24v from V- to gnd and 48v between V+ and V-
IS this correct??
When i got as far as 10VDC from V+ to gnd(red to green) I only measured
4VDC from V- to gnd(black to green)

I rechecked all my solder joints and they are ok
The resistors were all checked with a meter before installation
I don't know what to check next!!
Could some of the caps be bad??
they are 15,000uf 63v from Apex Jr.
Is there a way to check them while they are still on the board?
I know that I have missed somthing simple but just can't figure it out :headbash:

There is no physical connection from the PS to Earth or chassi ground, but from all the pictures that I have looked at this seems to be correct...

Attachments

• 100_1784.jpg
    100_1784.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 422
  • 100_1785.jpg
    100_1785.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_1788.jpg
    100_1788.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 365
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
You are aware that + from bridge negative rail side of supply is connected to ground/center tap, together with - from positive rail side ?

I say it because your use of red/black wire looks "fishy"
But I dont know Cvillers supply design

Oh, Nelson posted faster
But on the same matter
I have looked at Cvillers manual, and cap mounting seems ok

Maybe also check that theres no shorting connection on your switch diodes to their heatsinks, to verify they are properly isolated

Yes, your connection from negative bridge definately appears to be reversed

Last edited:
Looking at your picture it shows that you have the positive red wire on the negative terminal, is this your error ?

Notes, this picture, you should shorten your wire exposure, those are quite long and if you wire everything up and you pull on a wire and it shorts then you will get a big nasty suprize when you turn on your amplifier,

148507d1259469928t-i-need-help-my-f5-100_1784.jpg

This image, shows that on the left the positive and negitve are backwards. See that the cap's are all negative on one side, but the red positive wire is on the negative side of the cap ? This looks to be your error.

148508d1259469928-i-need-help-my-f5-100_1785.jpg

Last edited:
jleaman, thanks that was my problem.
When i was hooking it up I assumed(I know what "Assume" stands for)
that both negative wires went to the connections marked gnd.

All is good now and everything checks out perfectly!!!

Should I still be concerned about the caps even though it checks out ok with
full voltage applied??

jleaman, thanks that was my problem.
When i was hooking it up I assumed(I know what "Assume" stands for)
that both negative wires went to the connections marked gnd.

All is good now and everything checks out perfectly!!!

Should I still be concerned about the caps even though it checks out ok with
full voltage applied??

Id keep my eye on them like nelson said, to be sure, order a few spare :)

J'

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Maybe, if you are lucky you have just shortened expected lifespan of your caps
By how much ?
I better say, I dont know:p

Anyway, with regards to amps, or other electronics, who knows what we listen to in the years to come
When my F5 amps are built, I know Im gonna build myself a nice and easy tube amp, thats fore sure, SimplePP :D

Ehh, no joking, maybe you should check once in a while that your caps doesnt run hot
But at some point, when you have "recovered", maybe best change them, not to always have the doubt

Last edited:
Don't ever get your face near something you power up for the first time, this could cost you your eyesight or hearing. Stand back and read the meters...

Good advice. I had one blow up not-quite-in-my-face once :bomb:. Wasn't expecting it at all :eek: -- I just about jumped out of my skin :D.
The cap in question had significantly less energy storage than these, too. It made one hell of a mess, with shards of foil and paper and electrolyte everywhere. Had I been situated differently, one of those shards could have easily taken out an eye.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd change them out at the earliest opportunity. You can be sure the experience didn't extend their expected life ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.