Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F5 Listening Impressions & Discussion
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Well, I didn't buy a bunch just to admire them on the shelf,
but there is only so much time in the day.

Old 25th November 2009, 05:45 PM   #12
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

It's all a matter of priority.
Or are you subconsciously worried that they would turn your extensive stock of IRF devices into junk overnight ?

Just pulling your leg ..........

Patrick
Old 25th November 2009, 06:06 PM   #13
bear is offline bear
diyAudio Member

Not sure about the Tosh's but the Hitachi N & P ch are not exact matches when you look at the complement's curves(!). So, to some extent the feetback is going to be responsible for "correcting" the curves in practice...

I've listened to slow, fastish and Mhz bandwidth amps and I can not draw any correlation to listening fatigue or pleasure on that basis alone. Others may have had different experiences.

So, wondering if the Tosh's are better compliments or??

_-_-bear
Old 25th November 2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I've listened to slow, fastish and Mhz bandwidth amps and I can not draw any correlation to listening fatigue or pleasure on that basis alone.
Me either. I have good and bad examples of both, so I
don't find myself worrying about it very much.

Old 26th November 2009, 04:49 AM   #15
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> So, wondering if the Tosh's are better compliments or??

I have already published curves of the TOS MOSFETs at the F5 thread ages ago. They are perfect. The JFETs are not, so you need to fiddle a bit to get open loop gain to match by mismatching degen resistors, etc..

(The grey coloured crosses belongs to the 2SK1530, the red line 2SJ201. If I use red & blue lines, you cannot tell them apart.)

Patrick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toshiba Complementary MOSFETs.pdf (16.1 KB, 710 views)
File Type: pdf FQA Comparison.pdf (45.5 KB, 526 views)

Last edited by EUVL; 26th November 2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:54 AM   #16
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You just need to play 10kHz sine wave, triangular wave and square wave, and hear the differences. Then you know why you want 300kHz+ power amps.
Well, this is to be expected if you feed high bandwidth signals into an amp. I could as simply say, try a 100kHz square wave on a 300kHz+ power amp and you will need a MHz-amp for your pleasure.

In music, frequency content above 1 kHz goes down at 6dB per octave, so at least technically no need for such radio receivers.

Your mileage may vary though.

Have fun, Hannes

PS: the 10kHz sine wave should be ok on any amp with a frequency response of above 10kHz.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:16 PM   #17
bear is offline bear
diyAudio Member

The technical relationships regarding bandwidth and N & Pch curves are of course interesting. But what I am interested in is more what the listening experience becomes when a comparison is made between them/it!

Obviously something needs to be said to provide context to those comments since a "dark" sounding amp connected to a "bright" speaker will "sound better" than a truly "neutral" amp connected to the same speaker, etc... But I am still interested in hearing what others have heard from this F5 amplifier.

One of the interesting aspects is that since there are so few parts involved one might expect that it could be possible to correlate some sort of actual empirical measurement back to the resulting sound - whereas with a complex "modern" amplifier design the number of variables is extremely high.

So for now I am curious if others (especially those with other high performance amps and supporting gear) are hearing the same thing or something different than i do here.

_-_-

PS. An interesting note which speaks to the subjectivity and sensitivity of all of this stuff to the specific and particular system & implementation is that in the main F5 thread a poster said that his implementation of Borbely's DC100 amplifier was "darker" than his F5. My own experience with the DC100 is the opposite, the F5 seemed to have less sibilance than the DC100 - which BTW is a rather nice , clean, and somewhat warmish sounding design (properly implemented).
Old 26th November 2009, 12:33 PM   #18
fishski13 is offline fishski13  United States
diyAudio Member

it's the hook-up wire . seriously, i hope to have a functional F5 planked out on plywood within the next week to compare with my Krell.
Old 26th November 2009, 01:11 PM   #19
bear is offline bear
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishski13 View Post
it's the hook-up wire . seriously, i hope to have a functional F5 planked out on plywood within the next week to compare with my Krell.
You'll sell the Krell. If you do the implementation well.

(not so simple)

But there is a huge diff in the power available so that may prove to be a real issue for you.

But maybe ur joking about the Krell?

And, yes the wire made a difference - he started out with some rather thin stuff for things that carry some current...

_-_-bear
Old 26th November 2009, 02:26 PM   #20
fishski13 is offline fishski13  United States
diyAudio Member

i'm using Peter Daniel's boards with Toshiba JFETs and IRF MOSFETs. i have a 500 VA SumR TX with standard recovery rectifier bridges - i'll have plenty of room to try some boutique diodes down the road. my PS will have 132,00uF of caps - i'm building it P2P with turrets and G-10 fiberglass. the PS will be in a "proper" chassis with 2 towers of heatsinks mounted on top, housing/sandwiching the amp PCBs. Cardas wire, jacks, and binding posts. i've spent nearly a month just drawing and planning the chassis and layout.

the Krell is an integrated KAV-400xi 200W/8ohms, driving a piggish load ATC SCM12 83-85dB. my room is only 10x13'. i'm not sure that the F5 will be up to the task, but after living with a friend's uFonkens with Fostex FF85K for a week, i don't care if the ATCs go. i have an extra set set of drivers and CNCed BB for a pair of uFonkens to build for myself with intent on pairing them with a small sub. these little suckers are sublime, especially in my small room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
You'll sell the Krell. If you do the implementation well.

(not so simple)

But there is a huge diff in the power available so that may prove to be a real issue for you.

But maybe ur joking about the Krell?

And, yes the wire made a difference - he started out with some rather thin stuff for things that carry some current...

_-_-bear

F5 Listening Impressions & DiscussionHide this!Advertise here!