Battery powered Balance Line Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are these figures for both channels?I think the regulated BOSOZ ps should draw a fair bit of current seeing how hot it gets.With batteries maybe you wouldn't need the regulation and save on battery life. If you want to regulate you will have to adjust to something like 50v to work with your 60v rails.

Hi,

Yes these figure are for both channels. I could be a few tens of mA wrong but I don't think so. The active devices in the BOSOZ and BOZ indeed get hot due to the energy the dissipate (say 30V x 50mA = 1.5Watt) in combination with their high 'thermal resistance' which is due to thier low radiating surface. A small heatsink reduces the thermal resistance and hence temperature considerably.

Regards,
Thijs

time consuming

icceman said:
I'm presently using a 12V charger that charges 1 battery at a time for my buffered preamp (2 x 12V SLA). I've to find a way to concurrently charge all the 10 batteries (120Vdc). Any suggestions?

..ohhh,
charging 12 batteries, one after the other - must be very time consuming.

Can you desribe the sound differences between conventional psu and battery supply?

Greets
Ralf

originally posted by tschrama
to be on the save side: let's asume 4000mA hours.
The BOSOZ draws about 160mA or the BOZ draws about 100mA. So the BOSOZ will last 4000mA/160mA hours = 25 hours, the BOZ about 40 hours.
This calculation is true when You discharge the batteries completely.
For long lifespan Sealed Lead Acid batteries don`t like it being discharged completly.
I wouldn`t recommend discharge them under 1/3 their capacity.
So count for less operating time or go for bigger batteries.

originally posted by icceman
I'm presently using a 12V charger that charges 1 battery at a time for my buffered preamp (2 x 12V SLA). I've to find a way to concurrently charge all the 10 batteries (120Vdc). Any suggestions?
Yes, use 10 those chargers:) (no joke!)

I think the BZLS would work quite well on +- 24v , even Nelson has said it can work on 30v so it's not a big difference.
Of course you can up it to +- 36v with six batteries to be on the safe side and build only two chargers each charging 3 batteries.This could be a good compromise even though some do not recommend charging many batteries in series because of different internal R but I think it is not that critical and in the worst case the battery may have a slightly lower life span. In any case the sound quality will not be affected.I found that small voltage differences between battery rails and batteries on my battery powered gainclone do not affect sound quality.
I think you have many options at your disposal.

Ok

I have plans for batteries too, so I'll answer this thread even if it is rather old.

I have free access to as many (used but not complete used up)24Ah 12V UPS sealed lead acid batteries I want. (I have about 50 of them here at home now :) )

There fore I want to use them on ALL my amps, even the Aleph-X' I'm building :cool:

On the power amps all I intend to do is to use them as big caps (a'la Monster by Hiraga). By using a regulator to control the voltage to exactly 2.275 (+/- 0.005 V) for each cell it is possible to apply the voltage at all time, and have the extra kick when you need it. (After all the output impedance of the batteries are in the 10 mohm range....)

You can connect as many cells in series as long as you control the voltage.

If you are thinking of using them for charging and then use (not charging while in use) you should probably use a charger circuit that is controlling the charging in phases. But if you want to use one simple voltage regulator you should be fine by using this voltage. But charging will be considerably slower.

For a more in depth tutorial on charging this kind of batteries take a look here: http://www.yuasa-battery.de/ and take a look under Technicalities and Charging. There is also other useful info there.

I have no connection with them.....

Anders :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.