B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My B1-version (including an INA phono pre)

Attachments

• IMG_1759_V2.jpg
    IMG_1759_V2.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 5,279
  • IMG_1760_V2.jpg
    IMG_1760_V2.jpg
    916.4 KB · Views: 4,749
Last edited:
How about that one? How did you modify the B1? Did you simply stick in the Cinemag's before the pot?

Pretty much. This was a hastily thrown together buffer using whatever fell out of the proverbial coffee can for someone who needed something as a stopgap while we work on something else for him. It actually started out using BJTs (similar to this), but the bias resistors had to be so small due to the base current that the input caps needed to be too big, and in the end it evolved into a B1.

The Cinemags allowed balanced input which takes advantage of the higher output from the balanced connection on his cd player -- I wasn't sure how much gain his F1 had so I figured using the full output was a good idea. Only other real difference is that I biased it slightly differently, though I doubt that matters.

Attachments

• B1.gif
    B1.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 3,081
Well here's mine. I put it in the case of an old ATX power supply that burned out (OK, OK, I mean, that I blew up....) It was one of the better high -power ones, so the box is nicer than usual. And free... And came with IEC connector and switch already installed... (admittedly in a funny place for a preamp...) I dug up the retro knobs in the usual scrap places. Four switched inputs on the middle one, left and right volume on each side.

My friend's wife saw the photo and asked if it was something to cook on....:mad:

I'm planning a new preamp - either another B1 or juma's BF862 preamp, so I'm interested to see all your designs. I particularly like 400's design above. Very slick indeed... :up:

Cheers

Nigel

Attachments

• IMG_2249.small.jpg
    IMG_2249.small.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 3,080
@ grufti

I don´t no your circuit in the moment.
The layout I have used is based on the original schematic from Nelson Pass. For the layout I have had a look on some layouts I found in the internet.
Below you can see the layout I have designed (lettering is mirrored for assembly print)
I have posted the layout somewhere in the forum, but unfortunately there where no hints or remarks for me.

Attachments

• Layout.jpg
    Layout.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,793
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Here is my B1. This is my first audio diy audio project (F5 built in parallel), so go easy on me. The first pic is the old well worn Bogen amp that I started with. All parts are from the B1 article except the nichicon caps.

Many thanks to Mr. Pass, and all on DIYA

First impression of the sound of B1/F5........
I am loving 55

jim

Attachments

• DSCN3662small.JPG
    DSCN3662small.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 2,476
  • DSCN3785small.JPG
    DSCN3785small.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 1,501
  • DSCN3787small.JPG
    DSCN3787small.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 1,452
  • DSCN3795small.jpg
    DSCN3795small.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 743
  • DSCN3857small.jpg
    DSCN3857small.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,007
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.