B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The pin (center) of an RCA (cinch) is the +

The outside bit is the ground.

You have your signal on the common ground, and thereby connected.

EDIT - when you get it connected properly, you will likely have no signal, as there is no connection at the selector switch.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm looking at the photo and am getting more confused. So I'm not going to make a recommendation. The switch logic is not looking correct to me, although I am probably looking at it wrong.

Did you kit come with instructions and/or a switch or switches for that position?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Use a multimeter to check which input goes to which pad on the S100/S200 connections near the middle of the pcb then solder a link to the middle solder pad should do it. The middle ones should be the ones that connect to the potentiometer. I would recommend 63/37 rosin core solder; don't use lead free.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
On the set of 3 pads marked, respectively, S100 and S200, you will need to connect the center pad to one of the outside pads. There are not that may combinations to try.

If you have a SPDT switch just connect it to one set of the pads, one switch position will work.

If you have a DPDT that will work as well

BTW Gents, using a multimeter in this case- to check inputs for switch...
Which values or what I supposed to get ?
This is that I am still missing- how to troubleshoot assembly using multimeter :)
I just need to check which combination gives me positive voltage and which has no voltage across ?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I just need to check which combination gives me positive voltage and which has no voltage across ?

Yes.

Does your meter have a beep function where it will make a tone if there is continuity? If not just use ohms and look for no or very, very little resistance as proof of continuity.

You need to start from the input pads and determine to which of the switch pads they connect.

Then once you know where the inputs connect to the center switch pad, connect the inputs you wish to use to the center pads on their respective sides.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, I recall that's the way the fets bias or something like it.

If your connections are good from the input to the switch pads and then to the wiper of the pot (the center connections of the potentiometer) then you should fire it up again and see if it works!

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Great to hear! Congratulations!

What do you mean your meter is out of range for some? If it's not an auto-range meter it will have choices for ohm range...

Also I highly suggest buying a good auto-range meter. If you buy a good one it will last forever and be a good help on many projects, not only DIY audio! I like Fluke.

For now I have simple ebay mmeter.
Some of resistors for lighter note do not give any value, even then I switch between resistance on multimeter.
I will try again, maybe it is just me :)

I have question- connecting lighter note to b1 better from the source side or directly into the place of the volume pot ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.