B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little premature, on my part. I am missing a couple of components so haven't powered it up but here are some chassis efforts.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 939
That is a Good looking chassis,did you fabricate it yourself.
Yes I did. You can PM me for infomation about it.

I see two knobs, did you use two volume pots instead of a single dual pot?

I didn't think of that, it would have the added feature of balance control.
yes, they are Alps mono pots. There was discussion on the B1 main thread about the use of stereo or mono and gain control so I thought I'd use two monos.

Anyone have any experience with very heavy bass output in the B1? I am running a 50k blue velvet as my volume pot and stuck with the values NP gave in the article....his board btw... and the bass is overpowering. Everything else seems to sound fine. It has at least twice the bass as my BOZ. Which I consider to my "neutral" reference right now. It replaced my YBA 3 preamp. Any thoughts as to why I have so much stinking bass?

TNX

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it possible your previous preamp had an early rolloff when coupled to your amp, for low freq's and the B1 when coupled to your amp is essentially flat down to a much lower freq? It could be you have too much baffle step compensation in your speakers (or they are close to walls/corners) and the previous preamp was rolling off early and compensating for this, but the B1 is not, so it now stands out.... If you have a way of doing freq response measurements of the whole chain (eg using truerta) This could give you the answer.

Tony.

It's possible the response was bumped up naturally due to room/speaker interface and Qbox.
The amplifier and/or preamp/source could have corrected this bass emphasis by having a low Q roll off.

Putting in the buffer that has a wideband response could return the system to that natural bass emphasised response.
If that scenario exists then sorting the problem rather than covering it up with response tailoring would probably be the better option.

I almost forgot to say that it sounds fantastic, The most transparent pre amp I've heard by far.

I prefer to use a 50k pot, I find it sweeter sounding than a 25 or 20k pot, The pot I'm using right now will be change into a TKD pot, As soon as it arrives.

I also opted not to use the selector, Cause after some extensive listening and comparing 2 identical b1 kits (yes I bought 2 kits), I find that the best sound is by directly connecting the pot to the input, Without the selector. The selector I experimented on was a Japan made expensive gold plated dpdt selector, Even the solder terminals are gold plated., cost me $25- . But by doing this , I lost a bit of convenience, But then I use a dac that automatically selects digital sources and I don't have any other source, So this configuration works well for me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.