Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

B1 builders thread
B1 builders thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2012, 03:43 PM   #621
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

B1 builders thread
The lighter note is functionally a potentiometer, correct? (I'm not really familiar...) If so, then put it in place of the cheap plastic-track chinese pot in the B1.

Has anybody done it already? I bet it has...
Old 24th December 2012, 03:56 PM   #622
voxxonline is offline voxxonline  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

B1 builders thread
Definitely will search for it.
Thank you 6L6. It was a great help.
Old 31st December 2012, 07:55 PM   #623
sphinxvc is offline sphinxvc  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all, would this be an appropriate "first build" for a novice DIYer? I don't have any background in electronics so it will be a complete learning experience. Haven't come across many first projects that I could call both useful & easy to build. This will fill a hole in my system and help me on my way to more complex projects (I hope?)

Thoughts?

If it's good, can anyone point me in the right direction as far what you recommend I read prior to beginning? Does PassDIY supply a BOM with the board when you buy at their site?

Thanks guys.
Old 31st December 2012, 09:30 PM   #624
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

B1 builders thread
This is the original article.An easy build especially if you power it with batteries.

FIRST WATT B1

And pcb's from here.

DIY Order Form

Happy New Year.
Old 1st January 2013, 07:22 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

B1 builders thread
BTW I am looking for transformer- 18 v transformer is recommended. Marra, which model would suit better- as there more different numbers, like VA etc ?
And in UK what is a better place to shop online- rs, mouser , farnell ? In some of them I can buy in bulk only and delivery charges quite high
Old 1st January 2013, 07:41 AM   #626
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

B1 builders thread
A transformer with 12V secondaries would be best as you would end up with about 18V dc [12x1.4].I used 50va but only because I already had one.15-30va I think would be more than adequate.Someone with more nouse than I will no doubt chip in.
Nelson recommends a wallwart supply so if you have a laptop charger that outputs 18v dc that would be the simplest answer.
I usually use Farnell but sometimes you have to buy 50 of something especially resistors or if I want something "audio grade" HiFi collective.

Happy New Year.

Last edited by Marra; 1st January 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 1st January 2013, 11:47 AM   #627
diyAudio Member

B1 builders thread
Happy new year.
now I m looking at my salas psu (Was planning to hook it to b1) and thinking, to put it aside until I get more skills in diy or do it now ) manual is a bit complicated...
Old 1st January 2013, 01:05 PM   #628
WithTarragon is offline WithTarragon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxxonline View Post
BTW I am looking for transformer- 18 v transformer is recommended. Marra, which model would suit better- as there more different numbers, like VA etc ?
And in UK what is a better place to shop online- rs, mouser , farnell ? In some of them I can buy in bulk only and delivery charges quite high
This one is easy. go to the the local thrift shop and find an old HP laser printer. The power supply (wall wart) are usually the correct voltage (they will be marked on the PS case). Do not worry about the VA since the B1 draws very little current. I got mine for $5 and there are a ton of these avaliable.
Old 1st January 2013, 01:16 PM   #629
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

B1 builders thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post
Hi all, would this be an appropriate "first build" for a novice DIYer?
Yes, it's a great and simple project.

Quote:
If it's good, can anyone point me in the right direction as far what you recommend I read prior to beginning?
The link Marra suggested are the most important.
Here is a decently-illustrated thread - B1 preamp build thread

Quote:
Does PassDIY supply a BOM with the board when you buy at their site?
Unfortunately no. But the best thing is to learn to work from a schematic. BUT that's not always possible as you need to take things like lead spacing into consideration... Look at various threads on the B1, and you will start to see how other people put them together.

Also do not hesitate to ask for assistance on the threads! Lots of people here who are willing to help. That's what the forums are all about
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:36 AM   #630
sphinxvc is offline sphinxvc  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone & Happy New Year! When I said I was starting from scratch I really meant it! I'll have to buy an iron and read up on the resources posted above, I'll report back soon.

B1 builders threadHide this!Advertise here!