B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When going balanced, I think the BA-3 goes up to 30db of gain. That should be sufficient. Nelson says in article that standard is 30, but some have suggested more along the lines of 10-12dB . My room is 16 x 16 and open on right side, but I have no problem reaching uncomfortable volume levels. The greater appeal of higher efficiency speakers for me is the operation of my amps at lower power levels and corresponding distortion levels. 95dB is horn territory. What do you listen to. Running your pre ahead of BA3 will give plenty of gain,correct. I could always pull the F5 back out, but i just like this one better.

Holy Grail

I really appreciate the suggested reading. I may have mislead you with my explanation of the sound of the DCB1. Using my current setup of DCB1->BA3 FE->BA3 output with Renasas laterals, the sound is excellent, with wide soundstage, pinpoint imaging, and excellent dynamic range. The laterals have a very natural and musical tone that i love. They do not have any forward bloom and this is my only gripe. If i change the BA3 output to my second copy with IRF fets, i get a more forward sound,but sacrifice tone, imaging and seperation. They both have their merits, but i prefer the lats. I am going to spend some time trying to tweak them. I believe it is very possible to improve the final sound. I think the phase is a non issue,but admit that i am a noob and heed advice given by others. It is something i will be more aware of now.

If you're getting nice separation (big soundstage) along with imaging and dynamics I guess you are about there!
I am professional musician and may be able to suggest some sweet stuff to listen to on that rig. Where do your musical interests lie?

Well, Phase one of the rebuild is now complete.

I have replaced the Capactive Multiplier with a CRC combination and the 15VA EI transformer with a 30VA Toroid.

The sound is still "BLACKER than BLACK", but it does seem to have livened up a bit.

I'm still using the LM317 regulator.

Could the reduced impedance of the 30VA and CRC driving the regulator make that much difference ?

There's always the factor that we all want to hear improvements when we are "playing".

Attachments

• DSIR9324.JPG
    DSIR9324.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 302
I've been very careful with mains filtering but I know there is a difference in the way that EI and Toroids isolate mains born noise.

I've got a mains filter at the input. Pinched from an old VCR. This is two bi-filar toroids and two X caps .

After the TR / Bridge I've got 4700uF + 2R2 + 4700uF then it goes to the regulator.

The result is a BLACK silence that I am more than happy with.

If Capacitive Multipliers were the answer to smaller caps, everyone would be using them ????

You might recall the original image ?

Attachments

• DSIR9277A.jpg
    DSIR9277A.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Well, Phase one of the rebuild is now complete.

I have replaced the Capactive Multiplier with a CRC combination and the 15VA EI transformer with a 30VA Toroid.

The sound is still "BLACKER than BLACK", but it does seem to have livened up a bit.

I'm still using the LM317 regulator.

Could the reduced impedance of the 30VA and CRC driving the regulator make that much difference ?

There's always the factor that we all want to hear improvements when we are "playing".

Some would argue that the lm317 has a sound. Bypass it and see if you think so. Try using it as a current vs voltage regulator. I just discovered this difference, although i have not listend to it yet

OK now at 22V

I fully appreciate the differences at this level are minimalistic.

I would like to try to locate some WIMA 1uF MKPs with 35mm lead spacing to replace the MKSs that I am using.

I do have several MKPs that would fit but they are of dubious origin.

I must re-emphasis that a proper PSU as opposed to the Capacitive Multiplier has made quite a big difference.

As this is only a PRE with 20mA or so of load - how many Power Amps are being compromised with poor PSUs ?

As a PRE it has over 40000uF of capacitors - all computer grade in its PSU.

Its a long winded CRC - REG - CRC circuit - But it is ABSOLUTELY SILENT.

Call it OVERKILL but it works.

Last edited:
Wait to see about the Obbligato's. I will bypass mine in the Ba3 with MKp1837 to clean them up a little. This was recommended by Tony Gee, a speaker builder, as a great bypass cap.

Watch out! It is right that Tone Gee recommends the little ERO MKP1837 but his listening experience is based on loudspeaker x-overs. You can not be sure that you will get the same result in electronic circuits.

Karsten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.