Honking Sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi Everyone,

Need help or ideas on identifying source of sound. I didn't have a chance to troubleshoot. Looking for some feedback, no pun intended.

Today I got together with a couple guys from the Phila Area Audio Group2 to listen to my F5 and BOSOZ. A test drum track was put on and a strange "honk" or high frequecy squeal was heard just after a floor-tom drum hit. Very powerful. We were listening at fairly high levels, but not obscenely high. The squeal was only heard just after the drum hit and was very brief.

The sound was first heard when lifting the needle of a record. Sounded like the needle was dragged against the groves briefly. We though the tone arm lifting mechnisim was off. Then one of the guys threw in the test cd and we heard it while playing music.

The sounds are similar from the turntable and CD track, but I don't think they are the same thing. During the test track we listened with the volume up high and then lower. In the lower volume position, we did not hear the squeal. We didn't hear the squeal with a tube pre-amp in the chain.

Could this sound be high frequency oscillation? Like to hear your thoughts.

Associated equipment:
High-end turntable (dont remember the brand or cartridge name)
Sony DVD player (tubified tweak)
VTL preamp
Io phono preamp
Bride of Son of Zen unbalanced
Aleph 5
F5
Gallo Neucleus ( dual-sphere with CDT hi-frq driver) I can't find specs on this speaker on the Internet. I know it does not have a crossover from low to hi freq drivers. The CDT uses a transformer to match impedance.

BTW- everyone liked the F5...a lot! Owner liked it over his Aleph 5 in some respects. My F5 is now on loan. :D

thanks,

Vince

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Only difference between my build and the article is mine is dual-mono to the power cord. It does have current limiting in place like the original.

You think the Gallo's are a weird load for the F5?

Other than that strange "honk", the combo sounds real nice.
Better resolution and air around vocals and instruments than the A5. The silence between the notes is fantastic. I'm really happy with it. :D

V~

Joined 2000
Paid Member
did you use later revision values in current limiting circuit ?

if not - I think that R21,R22 are increased from 10K to 22K , but check these values , that's just from top of my head ...

That is news to me. I used the article as printed for the values of the resistors. I keep my schematics at work, let's see... definiately used the 10K values. This is part of the protection circuit. Is there a known issue or does this new value clamp down the output current earlier?

Thanks ZM!

V!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I would be very surprised if that was the issue.

Nelson, do you mean the the rising of the values R21 & R22 to 22k or being able to drive the speaker properly or both?

We were play some intracate information through the amp and it didn't misbehave at all.
Harry Partch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't understand why that one drum track would be handled any differently.

I have a scope. Don't think I have a clean freq generator. Only a PC based one.

V~

Joined 2000
Paid Member
It's not the F5. From my audio group colleague Andy-
Hi Vince

I think I did isolate the noise to the BOSOZ yesterday - I put the VTL preamp back in the loop and was nosie free. That noise on picking up the stylus was very odd - also seems to be linked to the BOSOZ, which I dont understand.

I really like the F5 - the J2 sounds like it may be the way to go down the road as well. What does concern me at the moment is a couple of people (Dejan and yourself) have commented on the depth-imaging - I think it may be the speakers which doesnt make me happy.

i'm going to speak to the guy at Reno Hifi later on today and see what he has to say about his preamps.

I now know where to start.

Thanks,

Vince

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.