Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

EDITORS NOTE: This is the single depletion mode Mosfet amp that Nelson Pass demonstrated at Burning Amp this year. END

I just opened an unexpected arrival from Jon this morning....

After seeing this, who can resist?

(Tea-bag, thanks for the photo)

It's worth noting that I am considering some other tweaks
on this as well.:cool:

J-fet CCS? :cool::)

Attachments

• ba09_ 021.jpg
    ba09_ 021.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 10,102
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
. After hearing his simple power J-fet SE amp at Burning Amp, I feel even stronger that this deserves to be explored.

Hopefully, my F2 will receive a transplant, and I will report back later.

John, you mean this beast?
This was a depletion mode mostfet amp, not JFET, which I thought sounded lively and promising. I wonder if an F2 like charging cap would help here with turn on thump. He also ran the J2 into the feastrex as well.
I hope Nelsons doesn't black list me for posting the chalk board lesson schematic. I assume the article will be worth waiting for, since he had only spent a few hours with it. May not be a final version.

Attachments

• ba09_ 002.jpg
    ba09_ 002.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 9,810
Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
John, you mean this beast?
This was a depletion mode mostfet amp, not JFET, which I thought sounded lively and promising. I wonder if an F2 like charging cap would help here with turn on thump. He also ran the J2 into the feastrex as well.
I hope Nelsons doesn't black list me for posting the chalk board lesson schematic. I assume the article will be worth waiting for, since he had only spent a few hours with it. May not be a final version.

Correct on all counts. I think we're going to have some
DIY fun with this one, as it sounds far better than it has
any right to.

I chose the Ixys depletion mode Mosfet because you guys
can buy it from Digikey for $6 (plus I wanted to play with
it). I also have several types of depletion mode JFETs, but
none of them are available and/or practical.

This will change, even if I have to get them made and
sell them myself.

:cool:

Good Nelson, a real new Zen amp (1 single device) 15 years after!
But here in Europe we might have some problems nowadays as big bulbs (100 W) are no longer available in the shops by law. We must use electronic "green" bulbs only and "save the planet"!

Last edited:
Good Nelson, a real new Zen amp (1 single device) 15 years after!
But here in Europe we might have some problems nowadays as big bulbs (100 W) are no longer available in the shops by law. We must use electronic "green" bulbs only and "save the planet"!

Massimo, I had built an F2 with lightbulbs. I used some halogen 1500w sticks. Maybe you can still find them around....

Step-by-step the classic light bulbs are going to disappear here in Europe. The production is partially not allowed anymore, but you can still find them in the shops (at least here in Germany), because trade is not restricted and there are still enough of them in stock.
Of course they needed more energy, but I think they have had their own charm. :)

Attachments

• Kohlefadenlampe.jpg
    Kohlefadenlampe.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4,184
...I think we're going to have some
DIY fun with this one,...
Oh Goody :D
...I also have several types of depletion mode JFETs, but...
Do you have the Russian KP926A or B? I have a lead on how to get them from a US distributor. So far 8-10Wks but no price yet. I will offer some G.B. action when I find out more. I'ld gladly donate some to you if your interested... :cool:
:D

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yeah I get it now. In the past I've used my toaster for testing high-power sound reinforcement amps.

I meant as load for sole active mosfet in amp , not dummy load on output of amp .

look in Zen article ...... or even better - Zen Lite

regarding metal Dale resistors on htsnk , I presume they're 1R source resistors ...

not that's of any importance ..... looking at school board - it really can't be simpler

...but you can still find them in the shops (at least here in Germany), because trade is not restricted and there are still enough of them in stock.

In Italy starting Sept. 1st shops cannot sell traditional 100 W bulbs any more. From Jan. 2nd 75 W, etc. etc.
It was supposed to be an European law.
We will find them at flea markets aside tubes in the future.