FirstWatt J2

look what UPS delivered today...

I couldn't believe my luck on this one, thanks to Papa and Mark at Reno HiFi I finally have the real thing. My second FW amp in 14 years. I am going to enjoy this one but also keen on building the "clone" (Jeff's version).

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 665
Awesome! I can't wait to hear a comparison between the two.

Quick inspection tells me your boards are very close in form to those in the real thing but only critical listening will reveal the difference(s). Now, I have to decide which speakers this thing will work the best, I have Altec A5's, Dynaco A25s, some old Marantz Imperial 5gs, AR speakers (lower efficiency), and some other stuff, all with updated crossovers.

Careful with those FW amps! I welcomed my first horizontal finned FW box earlier this week (J2). Next thing I knew there was another on the stack! SIT-3 no less. The reproductive and gestation cycle is extraordinarily short!! Props again to NP and Reno.

BK

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 775
Which one sound better with the new A25?

That's a tricky question to answer! My baseline is the M2 and Sony VFET on the bottom of the stack in the pic. The vast majority of my listening has been with the M2 the past year or so, so that's what I'm most acclimated to and it's like an old friend at this point.

All four amps (M2, J2, VFET and SIT-3 drive the new SEAS A25 = SEAS A26 very well and with plenty of volume across all kinds of genres. I'm constantly reminded how capable and satisfying the M2 is - any time the subject of "what should I build first" comes up, I'm always right in there to endorse the M2.

Today I'm sitting here listening to Eric Clapton through the SIT-3 and I can't imagine things sounding better. The SIT-3 just has a certain magic quality. I noticed this in the first 5 seconds after I initially setup the amp and I knew it was just what I was looking for.

Having said all that, I probably need another month or so to form a strong opinion that I can articulate. I do like the ability to easily swap amps - every man should be so lucky! Or is it sissy?

BK