FirstWatt J2

My J2 is finally up and running! J2 Pcb from EUVL, psu updated and beefed up with Jeff Young pcb, jfet from Punkydawg, on the output IRFP150 and most of all the SS generously given by Mr Pass last year. It’s running at 1.35A at this time.

I have been listening to the M2 and the Vfet part 2 for most of the last year and I must say that the J2 is sounding really really good. Nice extended bottom end, super sweet extended top and a quite a lot of power.

I was finding the J2 to sound a little muffled and flat at first, but after testing it with DiAna for the phase of the second harmonic I’ve realized that I was listening to the amp with a positive phase second harmonic. I’ve reversed the polarity at the input and output and now I have the negative phase second harmonic. I can’t believe how big of a difference that make!

Question : I know there is some people that have altered the ratio of the resistors on the output to get the right 2nd harmonic phase. Is there a real difference between what I have done the get the negative phase and changing the resistor ratio?

Attachments

• 9A733FE0-14F4-4E9A-89ED-0FEFFB9CC0EF.jpeg
    9A733FE0-14F4-4E9A-89ED-0FEFFB9CC0EF.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 216
  • A696382B-0A85-4F68-8C2B-E59FB7EF7C6A.jpeg
    A696382B-0A85-4F68-8C2B-E59FB7EF7C6A.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: 1 user
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
J2's use the SemiSouth R100 SiC power Jfets. Their character is different from the IR Mosfets,
and I am not assuming that the rest of the circuitry is identical to the original either.

If you want negative phase 2nd, you would start by decreasing the gain of the mu follower on
the positive side and decreasing the degeneration on the negative output device.

:snail:

Reactions: 5 users
J2's use the SemiSouth R100 SiC power Jfets. Their character is different from the IR Mosfets,
and I am not assuming that the rest of the circuitry is identical to the original either.

If you want negative phase 2nd, you would start by decreasing the gain of the mu follower on
the positive side and decreasing the degeneration on the negative output device.

Thank you mr Pass for your answer and thank you again for the semisouth jfets 🙂

Just to be shure that I’ve got that correctly. Does increasing R5 on this partial schematics would reduce the gain of the mu follower? I already got the degeneration of the negative output device a little bit lower to 0R11

Hubert

Attachments

• BF9A3B18-0ECA-4A0C-9425-9426DF91AB0B.jpeg
    BF9A3B18-0ECA-4A0C-9425-9426DF91AB0B.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 195
Nelson would
"If you want negative phase 2nd, you would start by decreasing the gain of the mu follower on
the positive side and decreasing the degeneration on the negative output device."
would that work on the AJ as well even thought there is no SemiSouth involved ? excuse my dumbness
AJ allready has negative phase 2nd. But yes, if you decrease the gain of the Aleph CCS, you will increase the distortion.

But there might be other unwanted effects, Papa and Mighty can best tell you about that.

for EUVL's project, best to ask for specifics in EUVL's thread

maybe there is already answer
I am asking here because I’m using EUVL pcb to make my J2 inspired amp. I thought my questions were pretty simple and I was not referring directly to EUVL project. I’m a good builder but my understanding of the circuit is newbie level. I have already post on this thread and got great answers. Here’s the schematic on one of my post higher in this thread for reference Post 1951

Hubert

I am asking here because I’m using EUVL pcb to make my J2 inspired amp. I thought my questions were pretty simple and I was not referring directly to EUVL project. I’m a good builder but my understanding of the circuit is newbie level. I have already post on this thread and got great answers. Here’s the schematic on one of my post higher in this thread for reference Post 1951

Hubert
:)look like you mix too much
1668522211775.png
:)

Reactions: 1 users
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you adjust the ratio between the two power resistors in the positive current source you will get what you are looking for.
Their sum needs to remaIn the same (or close). If you really want to play, string a series of .1 ohm resistors to that sum and tap the output off the individual points. As the upper resistance increases the gain of the upper transistor goes down.

Reactions: 5 users
If you adjust the ratio between the two power resistors in the positive current source you will get what you are looking for.
Their sum needs to remaIn the same (or close). If you really want to play, string a series of .1 ohm resistors to that sum and tap the output off the individual points. As the upper resistance increases the gain of the upper transistor goes down.

That all make a lot of sense. I will experiment around this and report back. From my ltspice simulation it seem like a small change can make a difference. Thank you again!

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That all make a lot of sense. I will experiment around this and report back. From my ltspice simulation it seem like a small change can make a difference. Thank you again!

post exact schematic you're using, and I'll comment on that

btw. Babelfish J2 is far from original J2 schematic, even if some crucial values are xerox from Pa's ( no wonder)

Oh thank you Zenmod! It’s running at 1.35A approx with standard fw psu. The 2nd harmonic is positive and I think it could be a little bit higher compared to the 3rd to be closer to the spec of the real J2.

Attachments

• 2C1F0905-9C6F-4F01-B06E-C7615E676024.jpeg
    2C1F0905-9C6F-4F01-B06E-C7615E676024.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 54EDA124-5C43-49E1-A44E-848EDEF3057D.jpeg
    54EDA124-5C43-49E1-A44E-848EDEF3057D.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you also need small or bigger elco cap, connected across C-E of opto bjt

(maybe it is just missing on LTSpice schm, not in vivo)

anyhow - ref. to schm you posted, you need to obtain (0R4+0R5) sum of R11 and R13; so while you have sum of 0R9, vary their (R11, R13) ratio and you'll vary contribution of Mu follower in output signal

more for R13 (less R11) Mu is working more ......

when you're happy, stop and use these values for good

Pa gave you nice trick - for test - made that R11 of 4pcs of 0R1, then just tap output from various stages in 4*0R1 string ....... easypeasy

Reactions: 2 users
Next step, get or make a simple distortion analyzer. Spice is reliable, but the semis, not quite so much.

I’m using DiAna with a focusrite interface to analyse the harmonic spectrum of the amp in vivo. Here’s the result before I inverted the input and speaker output of the amp to reverse the phase of the 2nd harmonic. It seems to do a good enough job to help tweek the amp

Attachments

• EB15C4AD-3849-4253-8B45-C15A1C26A307.jpeg
    EB15C4AD-3849-4253-8B45-C15A1C26A307.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 88