Car Audio Amps by Nelson Pass

Well that clears up any misunderstanding. No wonder there was zero mention of the Reference Series in this thread. I've just read the threads that troystg linked. Wade Stewart claims to have designed the Reference Series. I'll contact him.

Thank you for replying. Thank you for your amplifiers.

Hello.
I have such amplifier - Soundstream D60.
But it has input range 0.2-2.5B.
My source of a signal can give 4-6B.
How to reduce gain amount?
I changed resistor 2K near the level control to 0.2K.
It expanded adjustment range. But I want that on the first stage of the amplifier the signal without loosening arrived.
Regards, Siarhei.

I "think" the D100 and D200.. Wade repackaged those for the D100II and D200II. I don't know who did the mighty little D60, but that was a great "little" amp.
D100 and D200?
Thanks troystg, indeed the DII series is a different thing.
But i think the original design got by D100, with this stereo board.

Then, D200 get with double of this board, and other versions of D100 board with CA40, CA50 and four channel SF90.
A special sound in all these versions, i like a lot.
I like D60 too, but in this amp maybe we find another design, and power supply with square wave generator.

I know the last small amps of this series, the D30 and D10.
I read in this thread about a Soundstream D40, never see.

I "think" the D100 and D200.. Wade repackaged those for the D100II and D200II. I don't know who did the mighty little D60, but that was a great "little" amp.
Hello everybody, i continue to try know the origin af this amps.
Now we know Steve Mantz the dad of D60, but about the D100's design, Nelson Pass did design all the amp?
Or pre/final section only?
The zero IC power supply has got from him too?
I would like to know it, in the second D series we have a power supply with IC and mosfet instead.
Any intervention appreciate, thanks.

I thank you tsmith, i read the title A2125 in the post, but in the message mr. Mantz referring to the incorrect schematic, and the only one diagram in the thread is about D60, two posts before.

I ask for clarity but it's hard to have response, then i suppose.
I would to explain that my interest is to know history and characteristics about better car amplifiers ever made, not else.

Now the car amplifiers are chinese toys, nothing comparable to the works of designers like Berning, Carver, Mantz, Otala, Pass, Rayfield, Schug, Taylor and the others.
Hope do not to say incorrect things, but i'm an enthusiast of old school only and good music reproduction, this only.

I thank you tsmith, i read the title A2125 in the post, but in the message mr. Mantz referring to the incorrect schematic, and the only one diagram in the thread is about D60, two posts before.

There is a schematic that was attributed to the A-2125 in post#7 of this thread. I'm sure that's what Steve was talking about. My 10 yr-old comment about a timer-based power supply that Steve disagreed with was not intended for the 2125. That amp was obviously a different animal from the rest of their line. I was referring to the A-265 and could be wrong about that as well. One of these days, I'll dig mine out and have a look inside.

Last edited:
Anyone know what voltage the Tesla uses on the battery pack?

I was disappointed to find out the Toyota Prius has a 205 or so volt battery. Just a little short for a good tube amplifier. Though there is a big difference in arc sustanibility between 200 and 450 volts. Made me feel better knowing a co worker was going to rebuild his battery pack and also knowing he is not an expert at electrical stuff.

If I were serious about car audio, I would go with a tube amplifier again.

Mr Pass , Were any of the other Adcom amp as good as the 4702?

Not Mr. Pass but I can comment on the sound of the lower versions.

All of the 4XXX series were based off of the same topology of the top of the line 4702. They were just mostly lower rail volt and lower output device count versions of the 4702 built into a single chassis. I have owned a pair of 4302's and a 4304 for about 10 years now. They sound phenomenal and aside from a leaking e-cap in one of the 4302 power supplies taking out a copper trace they have been rock solid performers in my vehicles.

I bought a 4702 that was missing the power supply a few years ago. I planned to build a linear CRC supply to power it from the wall but its still sitting on the shelf, haven't had the time to get to it... Yet.... :D