Burning Amplifier BA-1

BA-1 Single Ended

I have collected the transformers and associated parts to build this and other amps. Now that I am retired, I have some choices to make.

My intention is to build a single ended 3 pairs per channel IRFP040 (12 total both channels) stereo amp.

I have 4 ohm speakers and need some advise which voltage 1000 VA transformer I should use to maximize output power at 4 ohms.

I am using current inventory, not buying anything new, if I can help it.
Antek 1000VA:
So a 0-18, 0-18, 0-18, 0-18 VAC (23 VDC 1 amp per device)
Or a 0-25, 0-25, 0-25, 0-25 VAC (32 VDC .75 amp per device)

Which transformer would be best to use?

My heatsinks will handle over 150 watts per side.

Rush

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am not in any way gifted in electronics. I have been trying to assemble the BA-1 and do not understand how to interface the front end and output stage.
It seems to revolve around D and S but it is unclear to me

Any advice would be appreciated

see pic

I have collected the transformers.....

more than 3 pairs per channel could be wise :)

Attachments

• BA-1 complete.jpg
    BA-1 complete.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 312
On alternative mosfets for Zen amp :
... the best choice for the N channel device in my experience is the IRFP040, which is no longer made.

The 040 is doped a little differently than the 140 or 240 and the lower withstand voltage comes with higher transconductance, which accounts for the better performance...
On IRFP040 vs. IRFP044 :
The real difference is that you can get the 044's. I just scored a thousand of them.
Thus The Wizard hath spoken. :)

Building the amp in an old Threshold 4000 chassis

In the process of laying out the power supply and caps and I wanted to use a smoothing choke instead of resistors in a CLC configuration.
Well, I am running out of room. Can't stack the 2 chokes (too tall) can place them side to side (too wide). Could place the front to back, but crowding the rear plate and I might need to place the BA3 input board there and the choke will be awfully close.
So I started to think. I remembered in the Tube days, you could place the choke in the ground instead of the high voltage side of the power supply.

So tell me if this configuration has merit, see attached.

Rush

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 187
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
in tube days , choke in GND was in "return" route (there was not negative rail) ...... here is not - on amp's side practically everything is happening between two rails ...... gnd being practically bored :rofl:

I had same brilliant idea several years ago , then someone did told me the same thing ; when I learned to sim a little , I checked and it is that way

in case that you're using "split" choke , one winding in positive and second in negative (appropriately phased) , that will be other thing ......

in tube days , choke in GND was in "return" route (there was not negative rail) ...... here is not - on amp's side practically everything is happening between two rails ...... gnd being practically bored :rofl:

I had same brilliant idea several years ago , then someone did told me the same thing ; when I learned to sim a little , I checked and it is that way

in case that you're using "split" choke , one winding in positive and second in negative (appropriately phased) , that will be other thing ......

OK, then I will do it this way.

Rush

See you at BAF this year

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpg
    IMG_1838.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 312
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:)

these two chokes are separate ones ?

funny me ...... I never remember proper phasing of "differential" or how it is called anyway - choke , but luckily there is NEM AI-50 thread on forum , with properly drawn choke

find it enclosed , to save you of search ......

Attachments

• AI50.jpg
    AI50.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 288
BA1 Power Supply

Here is a picture so far. Test fitting front and back panels and right heatsink.
Made a new back panel, haven't completed all the holes yet. I'll paint it after the work is done.
I'll rotate the transformer to shorten the secondary leads.
I was hoping to make the amp lighter than the original 200 watt Threshold Class A.
The old transformer was 27 pounds, the new one is 17 pounds. The 10 pound difference was eaten up by the 13 pounds of chokes. Probably going to weigh the same 83 pounds. (Which is too much for my bad back.)

Rush

Attachments

• IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 278
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
2SJ109BL is factory packed pair of single JFet , marked 2SJ74BL

so , we can use nicely matched pair of these instead , and they will fit in same pinout for 2SJ109BL , just looking in opposite direction

sticky thread in forum is giving you some info where to obtain them - easiest to visit Forum Store and look for current Linear Systems production - see LSJ74B type

J109 positions

I have tried to use SJ109s and something is wrong. I would appreciate comments on the attached photo. I have the J109s facing in different directions but I may have misinterpreted the schematic.
Assistance would be appreciated
Cheers, Wayne

Attachments

• BA1 2.jpg
    BA1 2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 157